Help/advice needed for supply to a barn | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help/advice needed for supply to a barn in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PILTDOWNMAN

Hi one and all

I wonder if I may ask for advice. I do not wish to be ripped off by EDf! I am in the process of buying some land to start a small farm. At present there are no services to the fields but the chap we are buying from is keeping some land to which he has all services. The main electric is some distance away and last year he had it connected to his barn. There is a box (not very big) located some 100m from the barn housing a transformer and his meter. This is about 200m from my boundary and he has said if the transformer is rated bigger enough he is happy for me to connect via a new meter and run cabling through his land.

1, Is this possible?

2. What size of cable do I need and likely cost?

As you can possibly tell I'm not a qualified electrician but in fact an aircraft engineer!

Hi one and all

I wonder if I may ask for advice. I do not wish to be ripped off by EDf! I am in the process of buying some land to start a small farm. At present there are no services to the fields but the chap we are buying from is keeping some land to which he has all services. The main electric is some distance away and last year he had it connected to his barn. There is a box (not very big) located some 100m from the barn housing a transformer and his meter. This is about 200m from my boundary and he has said if the transformer is rated bigger enough he is happy for me to connect via a new meter and run cabling through his land.

1, Is this possible?

2. What size of cable do I need and likely cost?

As you can possibly tell I'm not a qualified electrician but in fact an aircraft engineer!

The best advice i can offer on this one mate, is to get a local electrician in to advise you. This is one of those jobs where trying to guess on a forum would be ill advised, he will need to do exact calculations and see just what type of supply characteristics you have.

Cheers.............Howard;) ex B2 engineer 737/757

Reply to Help/advice needed for supply to a barn in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net