Help, domestic, 2 Gang 2 Way switch | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help, domestic, 2 Gang 2 Way switch in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rhino123

I am currently going through my NVQ level 3 and have attempted to put in a new 2 gang 2 way switch for my parents. Which feeds a new light, 1 way. And controls an existing outside light.

I saw a Junction box (on the same circuit ofcourse) underneath the floor above. This is what i done.

I needed a N to the switch so i pulled the single core cable out which from what i guess was the Feed (originally in the C terminal) and re- fed a Twin + Earth. Providing a new Feed and Neutral.

I re connected one side of the switch the same as connected previously with the new feed ( FEED in C, and a red in 1 and a black in 2.)

I then connected the N through to the light, and put a link to the C for the feed (From the other C) And the SW in 1 Terminal.

YAY the light worked...... However.. one switch controls Both lights, and the new switch controls only the one.... Please Help!

I am starting to think the Feed from the JB isnt a Feed? Something is mixed up in the JB i think... Please help!

Thank you.

James.

you need to identify the permanent live . from how it looks, i think the perm live in the 2 way switch is the red in L1. but can't be sure without testing

Are you sure the existing kitchen light switch wasnt two-wayed because you say........ I re connected one side of the switch the same as connected previously with the new feed ( FEED in C, and a red in 1 and a black in 2.)
Which means there were 3 wires connected in the original switch, doesnt it? Or have I misread that?

thats how it looks to me. sounds like the twin is live on red and sw. live on black . make sure when working on it that you have isolated at the CU. nobody wants dead bodies hanging around!

Last edited:
normally, on 2 way, the perm. live is on either L1 or L2 of both switches

I dont thik so. how would that work? the perminant live should be in the c of one switch and the switch wire in the c of the other switch, the L1 and L2 of the two switches will have the strappers. Either of which will only be live depending on what way the switch is. Sounds like the perminant live is at the other end of the two way in the case.

Reply to Help, domestic, 2 Gang 2 Way switch in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net