Help establishing if i have 3 phase power supply | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help establishing if i have 3 phase power supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

barrowsbest

Hi

I am new to the forum so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place.

Basically i am wanting to rent a property for my wifes new beauty business which is likely to include a few sunbeds.

I have been told that the building needs to have a "3 phase power supply" - firstly, is this true??
Would you need a 3 phase power supply to power 2, 3 or 4 sunbeds at the same time (along with other smaller items such as hairdryers etc i would assume)

If i do need a 3 phase power supply - how do i go about getting it installed?
can you give me a rough estimate of what to expect with regard to costs etc?

I went for a viewing on the property today and took the following picture.
Can anybody tell me - what is the current "Phase power supply" in this picture
Could i run multiple sunbeds and other accessories based on the picture?

Many thanks in advance. I am under the impression if i need to install a new power supply it will be costly so would love the guidance.

Mark

[ElectriciansForums.net] Help establishing if i have 3 phase power supply

no what you have is a single phase what you need to do is contact the electrical supplier and ask there advice

as for running what you have mentioned the answer is no youll need three phase im affraid

what may be an idea is to contact a local electrician for advice on what you need youll also need to fill in a supply requirement form from the electricity suppier too if you are upgrading

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry barrowsbest but I’m with nick on this. 4 sun beds plus every thing else would launch your supply in to space. Get a reputable local electrician in. Or you could ask the lads on here, but not me, I’ve hung my tools up!

ok thanks guys.

so the general concensus seems to be that i cannot run it as is. :(

Again, I know its probably asking too much but before going down the route of ringing electricians and running the risk of some over pricing the job.
What kind of figure would you expect to pay for something like this. (maybe if not a figure, could you give me a rough idea on how long a job like this would take to do.)

Also, if i couldnt go down the route of changing the power supply at this stage.
how many sunbeds etc do you think i could run off the existing power supply, If any at all...

Thanks again. your help is greatly appreciated.

Mark

It depends on the rating of the beds (I know nothing about them) and all the other things that gets added to he load. To be honest I think your going to have to go down the 3-phase road. Your main priority is finding what the supply company will charge for installing the supply, the cost of the subsequent wiring will fade in to insignificance after that!
One thing to bear in mind is your business reputation if you have customers in the place and the supply fuse blows.

Most people underestimate this, even some electricians if they haven’t installed a sunbed previously. As a rough guide, a 200 Watt lamp uses about 1 Amp of electrical current, so a 40 tube 200 watt sunbed uses around 40 Amps, which equates to 9.6 Kilowatts. This means that the cable supplying power from your fuseboard to your sunbed room needs to be 10mm (size in cross sectional area) which is thicker than most shower or cooker cables. A 60 tube sunshower needs 16mm cable. Its amazing how many people think that the sunbed can be simply plugged in to a conventional socket! A 13 Amp plug has a maximum power capability of 3 Kilowatts before the fuse will blow.

FFS took that from malcoms link 9.6kw for a tan Why not just go to BnQ n get some shed pain ( its on special offer)

Wouldn't it be better to aim the business towards spray tanning instead? Seems like sunbeds are going the way of the dinosaur, what with everyone worrying about skin cancer. Why spend loads of cash on something that could go out of favour very quickly? All its takes is some new government initiative and you could be left with a load of kit nobody will touch.
At least with spray tanning you wouldn't need a 3 phase system.

Some good info given by the guys ,Had a call a few months ago hair salon with 3 sun beds blowing main fuse , single phase , each sunbed was 12.5 kw !!! that added to everything else they used loads of 3 kw hair dryers and hair washer it all adds up ,they now only use one sunbed , the girl owner look liked she had been tango'd mind

Wouldn't it be better to aim the business towards spray tanning instead? Seems like sunbeds are going the way of the dinosaur, what with everyone worrying about skin cancer. Why spend loads of cash on something that could go out of favour very quickly? All its takes is some new government initiative and you could be left with a load of kit nobody will touch.
At least with spray tanning you wouldn't need a 3 phase system.

Funnily enough she has just passed her fake bake course as well so this is going to be one of her big sellers hopefully.
:)

Reply to Help establishing if i have 3 phase power supply in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net