Help needed re using an earth rod in an out building (shed) vs domestic earth | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help needed re using an earth rod in an out building (shed) vs domestic earth in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

malcolmwelsh

Hope you guys can help me - seems to be two different opinions and dont know which one is right.

I have run a new supply from a house out to a shed/bedroom in the garden. The supply (3 core 4 mm) originates in the fuseboard in the house - earthing system for the property is TNC_S. The feed is protected by an MCB and has a dedicated RCD just for the outside feed.

I have two guys telling me different things - first guy says you should not export the earth from the house on an TNC-S system to a shed because the DNo's (EDF) do not like it. He says I should put an earth rod in which looks after the shed only. Something to do with if fault develops in the street somewhere there is a small chance it could find its way into the shed. Shed has its own 17th board with RCD protecting ring circuits. Really dont understand the logic of this?

Second guy says run the earth from the house as normal straight into fuseboard.

Who is right?

Both. Have a look at the sticky about exporting PME. Basically if the shed does not have any services (Water/Gas etc) that would need bonding then most people accept it is reasonable to export PME. If there are services which need bonding then you need at least 10mm bond run back to the MET which can work out expensive. The sticky goes into the detail behind the above simplistic answer.

Edit - Just looked at stickies and it has gone, you will have to do a search.

Reply to Help needed re using an earth rod in an out building (shed) vs domestic earth in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net