Help with new socket installation in Garage. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help with new socket installation in Garage. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andrewsbabu

Hello every one

I hired a BT engineer to install a 20A power socket in the garage to run a table saw that needs 16A power supply. After installation of the20A type B MCB, it trips when the saw is started. The saw has a 3 hp motor.

The engineer has gone away and will contact me later. Can anyone help/advice as to what could be the problem.

Many thanks
Andrew.

basically when your appliance starts up it pulls more current to get it going than it does in normal operation.
As above for this you need to install a C20 MCB, the "C" denotes that the MCB will tolerate higher currents to get over the start up spike but would trip for prolonged exposure to current over its rated capacity.

LOL - Ask the BT engineer if he also does boilers?

Last edited by a moderator:
they must have electricians i no that in the street exchanges they have heaters and sockets in them

If so he will have known that a C breaker is required once he realised what his customer spec was :)
If this was a new circuit did he also give you the certificates required to meet the requirements of the law?

While the Type B/C MCB mixup is probably the cause, is there not also a risk that the MCB is tripping because of a fault?

Could the electricians on the forum indicate what tests the BT Engineer should carry out to determine that the motor and its connection is not faulty?

I'm not being funny but i thought that the 'BT engineer' is also an electrician. The standard tests should have already been done, R1+R2, insulation resistance, Ze, polarity etc.

yea i have plenty of times, but i dont need to get a 3 yr city & Guilds course to do it, as well as insurance and part p registration etc etc lol. im gonna ask the carpet fitter to fit my new CU next week.

And let this be a lesson to all who cut corners! Get the right person for the right job in the first place and save urself the hassle of sorting out all the crap that comes with it! You do realise that ur house insurance will be null and void now without a cert too on the new cct if it ever catches fire!!

Reply to Help with new socket installation in Garage. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net