Help With Plan of Attack! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help With Plan of Attack! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoppy

-
Reaction score
HI Guys.

Got my first lived in rewire coming up, so after some help on how to go about it.

I am a fully qualified electrician, but only do commercial and industrial work.

I have done one other rewire, byt it was vacant, so i just killed the whole house and ripped everything out no problems.

Obviously i need to leave power and lighting througth th course of the job, so just wondering how you more experienced guys go about a lived in rewire?

All help and advice is seriously appreciated!

Thanks

Craig

get customer to feed you with Tea and Biscuits!! helps when eating dust!

also pre planning and emptying rooms as required reduced messing about! also stopping and tidying up regularly allows for a quick get a way on the evening!

If you have space then fit your new CU straight away, with old one in situ and split supply ( temporarily with a henley block ). This way you can install and test the new circuits as you replace them and leave the customer with everything working at the end of each day.

Last edited by a moderator:
i try to do most of the installation without disturbing the existing. there is trhen a minimum period of disruption. obviously each job is different. a good idea is to lend out a few table lamps if lighting has to be lost over night.

Tell the customers to stay at family or friends for a week due to H&S :).

A very good idea.

If the customer wants cables hidden you will be chasing walls, pulling up floorboards and cutting into plasterboard. Even if you have a dedicated wall chaser with a dust extractor attachment, you will produce a huge amount of dust.

Its up to the customer ofcourse but you can avoid some mess by using trunking hidden by coving, trunking instead of skirting board (you can get some stuff that looks reasonable) or though this wouldn't look very good, simply using trunking on surfaces up to light fittings and sockets, which could also be surface mounted.

If you are chasing above carpet, make sure the carpet is well covered, especially the section close to the wall, tape the dust sheets to the wall and leave slack so you won't pull them off when walking.

When you doing Rewire pal?
I'm free in a few week and not a milion miles away if your needing a hand?
All we do is lived in rewires
First few are nightmare but get ust to them after a while!

I just hope you don’t cop out for my two sisters, “what do you need to take the carpets up for?” The other accepted that floors had to come up. She suffered with Compulsive Cleaning Syndrome. Try running cables while she’s got the vacuum cleaner between the joists. I did the central heating a couple of years later. My brother in law hid the vac at his mum’s house!

-ask if things can be turned off, someone might think you can do a rewire without going dead they give you the all clear then they complain that they just lost loads of work on the comp.

-make sure there are no pets about for h and s, or kids

-try and keep it clean and tidy, and make sure you leave it in good condition at the end of the day people are living there.

hope it all goes well and isn't too much of a nightmare.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Thanks for the offer Newsome3, as of now I am ok, have a mate who is helping, but again thank you for the offer!

Reply to Help With Plan of Attack! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net