Help with supply to garage | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Help with supply to garage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

timo1

-
Reaction score
Hello All,

I realise that this seems to be a topic that comes up but after looking at other threads, I don't seem to be able to find a definitive answer.

I am looking to supply power to a friends garage for one of my jobs for the NICEIC. The garage needs power for two double sockets and one light. Am I right in thinking I can take a spare way from the existing CU in the house (13 metres away) supply to garage in 6mm SWA to a small CU in which I have a 32A RCBO for the sockets and a 6A MCB for the light.

I was going to take a spare 40A from the unprotected side of the board, feed out to the garage and terminate the SWA in the garage CU.

If this is all OK, can I terminate the house end of the SWA in an adaptable box inside the house and continue the run in 6mm TE back to the CU?

Although the sockets in the garage will only power a washing machine and maybe a lawnmower in the summer (although not at the same time) I thought doing the run in 6mm SWA would future proof the installation, or could it be overkill?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. ;)

if i were you i would do the following. Gland SWA into a box on the outside wall of the property, as close to the back of the fusebox as you can get. Drill hole from inside fusebox to outside adaptable box. take the inner core of the cable into the fusebox and terminate. seal hole with expanding foam ext, but ensure that you do it from the outside, and tape up/cover the inside hole to stop foam getting in fusebox.

Take SWA into garage, or do the same as the house end. Only the supply end of the cable has to have the armour earthed down. You dont have to put a ring in the garage, you could just run a 20a radial. you could probably get away with running a 4mm supply (id estimate max demand at 25A) , but is the price difference that great?

at the house end, you xant gland the cable on the wall behind the fuseboard, then you could gland the cable as above, but run the inner cores in the house in plastic trunking.

hope this helps!

Reply to Help with supply to garage in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net