helping out a mate | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss helping out a mate in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Benjamiin

Hi all, got a mate thats asked me to put some power in his shed, 1 single socket and a light, the only trouble is its a council house! So i am really wary of doing the job because the install doesnt belong to my mate and therefore as far as im concerned its not his place to ask for any additions. Now the question is, do i help out a mate and do the install and whack it on a plug top so its "portable" and not fixed, or get him to phone the council to sort it? I know there may be some "gasps" about the plug top but the lads tumbler is in the house, and his fridge freezer, and hes not a welder, the sole purpose of the socket is for a lawn mower so there is no chance of overload! The house also has a split db so rcd protection! Your thoughts and advice is appreciated. Cheers fellas

The proper way to do this is to get on to the council/housing authority and obtain their permission to carry out this work. They will either give permission or deny it but if it's granted they will want to send an inspector to ensure the work has been carried out correctly

If this was carried out without permission they could insist on it all being ripped out and put back to the way it was at the tenant's expense

If the sole purpose is for a lawnmower wont a rcd protected extension lead suffice . same goes for the light in a shed a car type inspection lamp on a spring clip?

strictly speaking, he needs the council's permission to do it. he don't have to get them to actually do the job. personally, i'd just get on with it. do a proper job.

Its only the same as those outside sockets that have an rcd plug on the inside of the house,might not be everyones cup of tea but if it works why not.

I know this from having carried out modifications to my late mother in law's place. Do it the proper way mate and keep everyone's --- in the clear

Well I would get him to ask for the coucils permission because if he decides to leave in the future, he will be charged for removing any work that wasnt permitted. If/when he gets permission, why not do the job right? Fused spur?

Having said that, my house is a coucil house and I have installed an out side socket without there permission. But when I leave, I will simply remove it.

Falling all that, you could just tell your mate to do it all and stand and give instructiions!!!lol

Its down to you but If your going to do it right, you will need permission.

Jay

Damn it, when I started this post, I was the only one on the thread...cause im so slow at typing, I have basically repeated what everyone one before has said.lol

I would just do it if it was me but a proper job not a plug! I put extra internal sockets, outside lights and an external socket at my ex's mums house and when they came to upgrade the consumer unit,the council inspectors never said a thing, her mum even told them it had been done and they commented how neat it all was.

Just get on with it because there's a good chance the council would decline the proposal it's the easiest way for them then they won't have to go through the hassle of inspecting it. If he did leave and had to rip it out at his expense how much would it actually cost, maybe a pint of lager for you. Crack on

If someone were to ask me or possibly any one of us to price and carry out this installation.myself and probably every other spark would give the price,do the job and not bat an eyelid as to who is the actual owner of the property

I would do the job to standard,get paid,even if its just pin money and think no more about it

Your mate wants the work done,he takes the responsibility,if any, for getting permission or not from the owner and thats the end of the matter

I do council upgrades and all they have said to us, is that if there are additions and they are safe and test ok then all good, if not we disconnect and tell them to get their own electrician in to put it right, but most if the time we just sort it out there and then

Cheers for all the advice lads, so would you just issue the cert to the person ordering the work and say no more or just test and keep a record? Thanks again

Post 18 by you sums it up matey. This appears to be outlining your dodgy position!

Also keep up the smart comments and anagrams and you'll be on a ban shortly.

EDIT: This no longer makes sense as a post by the OP has been deleted by the mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to helping out a mate in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net