Horizontal meter | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Horizontal meter in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cmbcmb

Is it permitted to have a solid state meter (ISKRA MT-300 D2A51) installed horizontally on the wall instead of vertically? (For space reasons, within a cupboard.)

Hi cmbcmb i would have said no, as far as my limited knowledge understands all meters have to be vertical, can you describe how it would be fixed inside the cupboard? And who would move? Cheers

It's currently screwed to the wall, vertically, (ie portrait) in a wall-cupboard. The cupboard needs to be rebuilt shorter, which requires that the meter is moved. The only way it will fit inside the proposed new cupboard is if it is screwed back on the wall, but higher up and horizontally (ie landscape).
http://universalmeterservices.co.uk/store/images/300.pdf
Why might this be a problem, as there are no moving parts which may be affected gravity? Maybe cooling by convection or water ingress might be an issue??
Can't see that requiring the meter reader to turn his head through 90 degress to read the numbers is much of an objection.
The electricity board folk (British Gas/G4S/UK Power Networks) would move it once everything was prepared.
But there's no point in preparing it if they are going to come and say "tut tut can't do that mate..."

I would say that mounting it horizontal would be bad practice. From the manual it doesn't give this as an option and there's possible problems that could impair the accuracy such as increased temperatures due to the ventilation being affected.

I would be looking for an alternative arrangement or another location entirely where the meter can be mounted in its existing orientation.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Manufacturer says "This is advantage of electronic meters. They can be installed horizontally or vertically, no problem."
So now what? What is the basis for saying it is bad practice? "Unusual" maybe, but "bad"?
Any thoughts?

Well the top screw hole is an elongated slot that's clearly designed for mounting in one direction only plus all the labeling and safety signs will be incorrectly orientated. If the manufacturer says it's okay and the supply authority is in agreement then I would withdraw the bad practice remark and call it borderline acceptable practice instead :) I still wouldn't be inclined to consider it an option however.

Reply to Horizontal meter in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net