House bashing | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss House bashing in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Revan2510

Hi I'm starting house bashing and our team has got to rewire a house in a day could anyone give me any pointers on how to speed up second fixing etc and any tools that I could buy to save time? Or any advice on how to save time would be appreciated thanks

Second fixing should be the easy and quick bit mate, the potential for saving time is limited. The use of Yoozy boxguards of plasterguards to cover steel knockout boxes will allow you to strip the outer insulation of the cable ends and prepare the conductors for termination at the first-fix thus leaving them ready, not having to hack plaster out of all the boxes that the Muck-spreaders have kindly left for you, or worry about the nicking of cables by their trowels, thus saving some valuable time at the second fix.
First fix is where there is the biggest potential for time saving, if the job is organised and supervised well. In renovation work send in a labouring team to rip out and remove all unwanted fixtures and fittings prior to the first fix. Prior to the first fix draw up detailed plans of the work required. At the first fix a minimum of two people per room ripping out the unwanted old wiring, setting out of chases and box positions from the plan, chasing out, fixing boxes, pulling cable in, fixing conduit or capping, preparing cable ends and Yoozy boxing. Ensure there is a senior electrician/foreman on-site, with the authority to make on the spot decisions where problems or un-foreseen circumstances arise.
Don't be temped to try an save time with the inspection, testing and certification as this leads to errors being made, in most domestic situations this should be done by a single competent person (usually the senior electrician/foreman) who has witnessed/supervised the erection of the whole installation.
http://www.yoozybox.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first of all is it occupied and if so you need to manage the tenant ie empty the cupboard with the fuseboard in it put valuables and breakables away plus declutter . I got a CU do to and the tenants were living what i would call as hovel and I had to manage them right down to negotiating what time they had to get out their bed at to let me in they wanted 1pm I got 9am

used to do council houses, kitchen rewire + partial rewire (sockets, switches changed, old wiring is tested but mainly stays in place). it took minimum 2 days for team of two working 8 till 5.
if you have tenants in no way you can finish it in a day, well unless the place is empty of all sh*t so you can open floors. or there is 4 sparkies and couple of labourers to help moving stuff...

I don't know about anyone else but I find it hard to believe that a good quality job can be done in a day !

I have worked with some of these people and they leave a lot to be desired. The firms get the job because they put in the cheapest price.

I blame the councils . No disrespect to the people who do the job I understand one has to feed their family.

well ive noticed a big firm gets the jobs cause they meet the council criteria then they sub it out to humty dumpty who dont give a fooook.. its not as easy a seems when house occupied .... just go for it and say no time too talk lady

Dont forget that the Schemie providor gets 1-2% of the registered companies profits / turnover when they go over £100k nice work if you can get it.

Yep it costs you £600 pa for a schemie but if your turnover goes above £100k then they take on average a 1.5% cut
which schemes do that?

We're well over that point and just pay the annual fee, and the basic registration fee per job with Napit. Any scheme that tried that one would be kicked into touch sharpish.

Reply to House bashing in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net