How can I tell if my ceiling fan supports wiring the lights and fan separately, before calling an electrician to actually wire it up? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How can I tell if my ceiling fan supports wiring the lights and fan separately, before calling an electrician to actually wire it up? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a few ceiling fans in my house. Each is controlled by a single wall switch. I'd like to have them re-wired so that I can control the fan and the lights independently. I can't tell if the fans in the house actually support that or not and I'm struggling on Google figuring out how I would figure that out.

I found the manual for my fan but wiring diagram is only one tiny page that doesn't have much details. I'm not sure what i'm looking for exactly but I don't see anything on the fan's product listing to help me figure it out either.

How am I supposed to tell? I have one other fan brand in the house so i'm not just looking for the answer for this fan, I'm trying to understand how I would be able to figure it out.

[ElectriciansForums.net] How can I tell if my ceiling fan supports wiring the lights and fan separately, before calling an electrician to actually wire it up?the manual

TL;DR
How can I tell if my ceiling fan supports wiring the lights and fan separately?

Attachments

• M0053-01.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum I don't know how you'd go about doing that as I'm not a sparky but good luck with the project. :)

The white is the neutral.

The black is hot to the light, brown is hot to the fan… (or other way round)

I did this myself once, but it was in UK
In my case, the unit also had 2 pull strings… one for light, one for 3 speed to the fan. I had wanted to add a dimmer switch to just the light.

Reply to How can I tell if my ceiling fan supports wiring the lights and fan separately, before calling an electrician to actually wire it up? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net