How can I wire 3 lights to 2 PIR sensors | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How can I wire 3 lights to 2 PIR sensors in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Disclaimer: Not a qualified electrician but just doing some DIY as a hobby, I've wired up my own Fused Spur before so I know the basics.

I want to be able to wire up 3 20W Lights up to 2 PIR sensors on opposite sides of a fence. These must terminate to a standard UK plug socket due to it being at the end of a garden next to a standalone garage (don't mind adding a fuse if thats necessary).

Lights: 4Lite 20W Floodlight (Screwfix: 855KK)
Sensors: Zine DION PIR Sensor (Screwfix: 388FT)

Ive seen diagrams online but I would rather do it right the first time than live to regret it after making a mistake.

Would be nice to have an override switch inside the garage to either:
a) Stay on without using sensors
b) Completely off (disable sensors)
c) Sensors enabled

-- This isn't a priority if it would significantly complicate or increase the price --

Any advice would be appreciated.

[ElectriciansForums.net] How can I wire 3 lights to 2 PIR sensors

TL;DR
Wiring 3 20W Lights to 2 PIR Sensors terminating to a UK Standard Plug
This forum is not supposed to give step by step instructions, but I'll give a few pointers.

There are as you say quite a few wiring diagrams out there, and the one's I've seen are OK.

You might use 4 core, (L, Ls, N, E) or 3 core + E cable, between the 2 PIR's to connect them in parallel.
Most people seem to experience no problem putting PIR's in parallel, and more surprisingly no problem connecting L to Ls with a switch to make lights stay on, though some PIR's take flashing the on/off switch as the instruction for permanent on.
Then L, N & E between all the lights, and run them in parallel off the Ls switched live & N from the PIR's.

For permanent on, take the L and Ls from the PIR's to a switch.
For permanent off put a switch in the live feeding the whole lot, or use the switch at the socket!

This forum is not supposed to give step by step instructions, but I'll give a few pointers.

There are as you say quite a few wiring diagrams out there, and the one's I've seen are OK.

You might use 4 core, (L, Ls, N, E) or 3 core + E cable, between the 2 PIR's to connect them in parallel.
Most people seem to experience no problem putting PIR's in parallel, and more surprisingly no problem connecting L to Ls with a switch to make lights stay on, though some PIR's take flashing the on/off switch as the instruction for permanent on.
Then L, N & E between all the lights, and run them in parallel off the Ls switched live & N from the PIR's.

For permanent on, take the L and Ls from the PIR's to a switch.
For permanent off put a switch in the live feeding the whole lot, or use the switch at the socket!
That will work fine as long as the Pirs use relay switching, some don't.

Reply to How can I wire 3 lights to 2 PIR sensors in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net