How long does a FULL RE-WIRE take? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How long does a FULL RE-WIRE take? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bluemarble108

Hi there,

I am enquiring as to how long a full electrical re-wire should take for a four bedroom house. The reason I ask is, I am currently having this done and my electrician (qualified) has taken 7 weeks so far (coming in 8am-4pm fulltime!), and still isn't finished.

Tea breaks and banter are commonplace, but it is becoming increasingly frustrating as this is delaying other planned works and my builders. We have tried to gently nudge this chap on, but there is a different excuse for any little thing. I have spoken to friends who have said the norm is 2 to 4 days? Please advise, as I'm not sure this will ever end...

- At my wits end!

Hi and welcome,

Is the house occupied? if not, one person should be able to 1st fix in a round a week, and second fix a few days.

It also can depend on other trades in the way, number of sockets, lights etc.

There is no hard and fast rule, however, 7 weeks is a little OTT.

Have you paid him any monies yet?

He's on a fixed amount for the whole job, but when we asked initially how long it would take - he said 2 to 3 weeks. It seemed a little more than other electricians we'd spoken to, but it's now been 7 weeks and it's honestly getting quite frustrating. It has delayed our builders who are on a daily rate, not sure what to do to speed this up...

is it a standard basic rewire or something more elaborate? what does your contract say re:time scale etc.

Standard re-wire, although one room has spotlights? We don't have a contract as such, just been going on verbal agreement... We were thinking of cutting back monies based on each further day we're delayed. Please advise!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you asked what the delay is?

Has he been on site every day?

He's saying that he keeps getting dragged onto other things, but in all honesty - they just seem like excuses for the sake of it. He has taken random days off to do other jobs 4 - 5 days in total over the couple of months.

I thought I was slow 3 weeks including full emerg lights and LD1 Grade A fire alarm system for 7 beds (2 of us)

Standard rewire of 4 bed house would probably take me alone 3 weeks, did a 2 bed the other week in 4 days on my own, it does vary from house to house and on existing chases/boxes

Last edited:
Hmmm TBH im not really sure what you can do.

All i can think is to pay him up to date, and try and find someone else to finish.

Have paid him 50% of the agreed fee so far, plus costs of £900 for the wiring, back casing & basic sockets (does this seem right?). Had held back the remainder until completion of the 2nd fix!??

If it is creating a real problem with other workers, then it may be worth mentioning to him that you are thinking about getting another electrician in to speed the job up. If he has a free run then the norm will be to bash the job out, get paid and go home. I've done complete rewires like this on my own in around 2 weeks, I've had jobs drag on to around 8 or even 12 weeks, but it's never the electrician creating the delay. :p

Whats your location?

I'd say between a week and two weeks max, probs two if it was just me alone. Some can take longer if they are a pain, 7 weeks tho :D, never heared anyhing like it. Get rid of this joker and find somebody else.

Occupied -at least 2...probably 3 weeks...depends on number of points,whether chasing/making good is included and whether an existing kitchen is to be rewired without damage......2-4 days????.....I would be wary of taking advise from friends in the future!!!

Reply to How long does a FULL RE-WIRE take? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net