How much surge in voltage should be in the surge protector? (Min and Max range) | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How much surge in voltage should be in the surge protector? (Min and Max range) in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I live in the Middle East. I have between 220V to 230V. I bought surge protectors for AC and other appliances such as PC and TV.

The upper limit voltage in surge protectors is 255V and the lower is 170V.

How does the manufacturer calculate the normal voltage? (for my surge protector is 170V ~ 255V)
Isn't 170V too low? It is almost 30 percent less than the input voltage.
Is 170V safe for appliances?

Thank you

[ElectriciansForums.net] How much surge in voltage should be in the surge protector? (Min and Max range)

these are usually MOV’s metal oxide varistors or sometime spark gaps , these change there resistance with voltage,im fairly sure the lower voltage means little ,unless there is some other devices (relays,contactors or electronics) that wont function below that.170V is safe for appliances though they may not work.

Reply to How much surge in voltage should be in the surge protector? (Min and Max range) in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back