How old do you think this is? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How old do you think this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I came across this today, to be honest the place could do with gutting and a rewire, there's no bonding to water or gas either, and that was the least of the issues.

Just wondered how old this fusebox is? I'm thinking about 1950's, but wondered if anyone else has any ideas? Plus the cutout, its rather old, cast iron, would be interested in knowing the age of this, am I correct in thinking that the very old cut outs like this do not have a fuse in them and are supposed to be fused after but before the meter? The cutout has the letters LCED embossed on the front.

Im just going to write a letter to the landlord advising them of whats been found amongst the other problems, it would be nice to put a rough date on it.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks,

[ElectriciansForums.net] How old do you think this is? [ElectriciansForums.net] How old do you think this is?

That is only half a fusebox! What you have there is just the guts, it should be inside a metal casing, without which there are all sorts of live bits exposed... not right at all! Made in the 1950s/60s as you say. The cutout could be 30s, but it does have a fuse in although probably a rewireable not a cartridge.

I have to admit I was a little horrified when I opened the cupboard door to find this, I think to say its dangerous is an understatement. The actual call out was, a couple of sockets are making a loud electrical cracking noise, anyway, she said she turned the power off, I don't know if to say that's good or just lucky she didn't touch something she shouldn't have, anyway, the sockets appear to be wired in a 6mm multi stranded cable, not a chance you are going to get two lots of that in the back of a 13a faceplate, which is why whoever did it left it all hanging out with a couple of inches of exposed copper. I capped the offending sockets off, and said, Im leaving your power off as its not safe, I said id be looking for a new house to rent. I then spoke to the landlord who, well he didn't really care too much.... What can you do eh! You just cant help some people.

Yep as Lucien says missing metal enclosure these were installed as late as the 80's but not in such a dangerous manner either way time for a replacement fuseboard code 1 with high risk/danger of electric shock

It might have had the bakelite housing instead of a metal one, which has been smashed leaving just the ceramic body. In this range many of the sizes were available with either enclosure, although towards the end I think the metal one was the more popular. I'm trying to put a name to it, IIRC 'Memspel' 303KSM is the 3-way metalclad splitter and 'Memspan' 303KSI the insulated version, but those might only have had 15A ways. They were popular in their day but Wylex soon conquered this part of the market.

got that same CU in our garage, a 3 way. next job on the " to do " list. same time is to divert the freezer sockets to a non-RCD way in the main CU.

yes well it does amaze me, but I guess its a case of one company says they are only responsible for the meter and one for the cutout and the rest is the customers. I have WPD coming out on Monday to take a look with the view to upgrading it, I have spoken to the landlord and am going to price up a rewire, so a standard call out charge will hopefully turn into quite a good job! :)
Thanks for the comments!

That is only half a fusebox! What you have there is just the guts, it should be inside a metal casing, without which there are all sorts of live bits exposed... not right at all! Made in the 1950s/60s as you say. The cutout could be 30s, but it does have a fuse in although probably a rewireable not a cartridge.
up until at least the 80s lucien

try 2 fuses.....it will have a fused neutral in this...they will be 40A BS3036s....and will date from the 30s/40s

message to O/P:
get on to the DNO...as that cutout needs replacing.

Reply to How old do you think this is? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net