how to add an outside socket for a pool heater that requires 19 amps 240 volts | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss how to add an outside socket for a pool heater that requires 19 amps 240 volts in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

wolfman81

-
DIY
Reaction score
i have recently bought a pool heater that requires 19 amps 240 volts and that doesn't have a plug socket. im looking
at ways i could add this to my mains and that cant be plugged in permanent.

At 19 Amps it would ideally require it's own RCD protected circuit from the CU and either wiring into an isolator or plugging into a commando type socket. Does the heater have a control panel with switches and maybe a timer? Can you attach a couple of pictures?

When it comes to outdoors and water with electricity I would get a competent person In, any small mistakes here could be lethal to one of your family.....

Welcome to the forum and if I was unemployed I wish I could afford a pool and heater ;) as you can afford such luxuries I'd personally spend the extra few quid to ensure safety.

Its not just a matter of getting a power point to your heater but knowing your supply type, earthing arrangement etc etc all need confirming as this could have a bearing on your requirements.

Also without sounding sarcastic plugging it in permanent seems strange, if you want it permanent then hardwire it via an isolator, as Marvo suggests.
Also all of Darkwood's points need satisfying before going any further.

If you are in UK, I would get a part p registered electrician to give you a quote rather than break the law.
If you are asking a question like this one it would suggest that you are not classed as a competent person.

If you are in UK, I would get a part p registered electrician to give you a quote rather than break the law.
If you are asking a question like this one it would suggest that you are not classed as a competent person.

Which act of parliament?

No you mean Building Act 1984...building Regs are statutory instruments - Statutory Instruments, also known as SIs, are a form of legislation which allow the provisions of an Act of Parliament to be subsequently brought into force or altered without Parliament having to pass a new Act.

Do you perhaps mean the building regulations 2010 legislation? Seeing as how the building regulations 2000 was replaced by it?

And even so it does not support your inference that he would be breaking the law by not getting a part p registered electrician to give him a quote.

Do you perhaps mean the building regulations 2010 legislation? Seeing as how the building regulations 2000 was replaced by it?

And even so it does not support your inference that he would be breaking the law by not getting a part p registered electrician to give him a quote.

ok lads thanks for your advice.

How Part P Affects you & the plans for your gardenPart – P of the building regulations now effectively bans garden enthusiasts from installing their own electrics in ponds, sheds, garages and greenhouses which means that all electrical work in the garden must be carried out by a government approved electrician registered with theNICEIC; like Auber Electrical.According to the regulations, gardeners are allowed to maintain and replace existing equipment. However, because the risk of electric shock is far greater outside, a government approved electrician who can provide a certificate, such as one registered by the NICEIC must undertake all other work. That's where Auber Electrical can help you.Part P applies to garden lighting, pond lighting, pond pumps, swimming pools, and saunas, along with outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses.
Local authorities can order the removal or correction of any work that does not comply and you could be fined up to £5,000.

How Part P Affects you & the plans for your gardenPart – P of the building regulations now effectively bans garden enthusiasts from installing their own electrics in ponds, sheds, garages and greenhouses which means that all electrical work in the garden must be carried out by a government approved electrician registered with theNICEIC; like Auber Electrical.According to the regulations, gardeners are allowed to maintain and replace existing equipment. However, because the risk of electric shock is far greater outside, a government approved electrician who can provide a certificate, such as one registered by the NICEIC must undertake all other work. That's where Auber Electrical can help you.Part P applies to garden lighting, pond lighting, pond pumps, swimming pools, and saunas, along with outbuildings such as sheds, detached garages and greenhouses.
Local authorities can order the removal or correction of any work that does not comply and you could be fined up to £5,000.

Got to laugh haven't you, when you consider that the vast majority of NICEIC member electricians along with the other Scam providers are DI's with just an open book qualification to their name!!!
Except for the fact, in reality that it's not really a laughing matter at all, especially when were talking about a swimming pool installation!!!!

Reply to how to add an outside socket for a pool heater that requires 19 amps 240 volts in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net