How to choose the right 3 pole isolator | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How to choose the right 3 pole isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richiespark100

Hi guys,

i need abit of help here I have a 3phase, 440v, 50hz, 1.7kw squirrel cage motor. I need to know how I can calculate and choose the right boxed rotary isolator switch. From my calculations I would do P➗V which equals 3.86. Now this is where I come stuck because it's 3phase do I now times the 3.86 by 3 and say that is my full load current? At the moment I'm thinking of getting a 25 amp isolator switch would this be ok? Please help us out.

Ok guys il try reply to a few of your queries. First of all the type of isolator I want is this: http://www.meteorelectrical.com/25-amp-3-pole-polycarbonate-boxed-isolator-switch.html

also yes it is a 1.7 kW motor 3ph motor it's only a small motor serving as a toilet extract fan working with another 1.7 kW motor as duty/standby. I'm looking to see what is the right isolator to choose. Please give us hand guys

Regards

Richie

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you want an isolator or a isolator and switch combined in one unit? Your op doesn't seem all that clear.

Switch ratings on rotary isolators will be less for the different duty ratings/types of load.

h
Oh dear, have they taken basic motors out of electricians training now then?

Get yourself along to the nice helpful sticky at the top of the industrial section of the forum.

nope its still there, when I did 2330 amd my mate did 2357 it is in the book and describes the different motors etc.

I know there are advantages and disadvantages to each type but I cant remember as I havent touched motors like that in 2 years and need to brush up on them

[ElectriciansForums.net] How to choose the right 3 pole isolator

(book I got from jtl this is the second time I have opened it)

Last edited:
I've got a slightly older book on the subject, I believe it was printed in 1939 and makes reference to the 10th edition regulations as being the latest edition. I can highly recommend it, it's called 'Stubbs electrical encyclopedia'

Hi OP. Just a few questions:
Are you an electrician?
What does is say on the motor plate for the current rating?
Is this a new cricuit or are you just adding an isolator?

Also please dont edit your original post with the answers as it will not notify my you have replied.

Ok guys il try reply to a few of your queries. First of all the type of isolator I want is this: Meteor Electrical

also yes it is a 1.7 kW motor 3ph motor it's only a small motor serving as a toilet extract fan working with another 1.7 kW motor as duty/standby. I'm looking to see what is the right isolator to choose. Please give us hand guys

Ok, but in the OP you say you need help calculating the current, but the current is written on the data plate?

Just take that current and select an isolator based on that current.
If you want it to also be a switch then you will need to check its rating for switching motor loads (not necessarily the same as it's rating as an isolator)

Thanks Davesparks. Yeah I wanted to know to know the calculation because it's been a while since I've don 3phase calculation. This has spurred me on the get the study books out. I forgot about the square root and P.F serves me right tbh! Ok well I good on the calculations and I know that it's pulling 2.4. Here's the part which gets me I was gonna use a 25A 3P switch disconnector. Here's the link Usablenet also here's the data sheet of the isolator I'm looking at it's the KG20. It's this suitable? The most it's gonna pull is 2.4 and I want a 25A isolator is this ok or shall I go smaller?

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] How to choose the right 3 pole isolator
    image.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 51

Reply to How to choose the right 3 pole isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net