How to make a Giant BUZZ WIRE Game | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How to make a Giant BUZZ WIRE Game in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

speciallighting

Hi Everyone
I Need to make a giant buzz wire game that must be moved frequently and run off 240v so as no battery charging is required, Whilst being completely SAFE ie complying with regs.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I had to make a few of these for the kids school fete. Why 240v its madness. Mine used 9v batteries and operated a sounder and strobe and lasted all day. on mains voltage your looking at transformers and all sorts of problems. PAT being one.
save yourself the aggro, go battery.
Welcome BTW.

You need to be very careful even Selv can be dangerous under the wrong conditions, many ppl have died from car batteries, you could look into an isolation transformer feeding a float level relay with galvanic isolation, i believe these run about 8v ... and have built in relays that operate when outputs are shorted. You could use the low output as the touch alarm and the empty output as the winning sound.
Just a thought ?

be cheaper to buy a game like operation and strip it down and yes have to agree batteries safest bet.... consider if the control box got water in for whatever reason ... possibility of 230v tracking to selv side :O/

Cheers all. agreed on on the surface it seem madness. the reasoning is that once the wire is buzzed not only will sounders be activated but also 12v led rope(quite a bit of it), and it will be played constantly for 12 hours. whats the opinion if a say 6v battery is used on the buzz wire which in turn operates a relay for the rest of the buzzers and rope lighting?
it will be 12mm solid steel shaped wire to navigate with a length of about 4/5m and a cable length of 1.5/2m for the hand held part cable sizing not yet determined.

Cheers all. agreed on on the surface it seem madness. the reasoning is that once the wire is buzzed not only will sounders be activated but also 12v led rope(quite a bit of it), and it will be played constantly for 12 hours. whats the opinion if a say 6v battery is used on the buzz wire which in turn operates a relay for the rest of the buzzers and rope lighting?
it will be 12mm solid steel shaped wire to navigate with a length of about 4/5m and a cable length of 1.5/2m for the hand held part cable sizing not yet determined.
Cant you just do a tombola stand, quicker easier and still a good attraction :tongue3:

You need to be very careful even Selv can be dangerous under the wrong conditions, many ppl have died from car batteries, you could look into an isolation transformer feeding a float level relay with galvanic isolation, i believe these run about 8v ... and have built in relays that operate when outputs are shorted. You could use the low output as the touch alarm and the empty output as the winning sound.
Just a thought ?
could have done with your post a while back to prove a point,spent about an hour arguing with a mechanic who insisted that you couldnt get killed off 12v and only the ignition on a car was dangerous,couldnt get him to understand its the current not the volts that kill.

Naturally we have good resistance to selv but if contact is made through broken skin or if you are soaked through then you will deffo feel it... and the potential ampage delivery of a car battery is large.... easy way to explain this is the 9v battery on the tongue which tingles as the small current flows from anode to cathode... worse you could do here is burn your tastebuds but just highlights the reduced resistance caused by wet or damp skin, as its only as a potential of 9volts but still passes across your wet tongue.

stick an RCD on it , i made one using 12 volt sounders and led strips stuck a small RCD and 6amp mcb under the base used armour off cuts stripped back to the copper and bent it into a shape , drilled a hole in each end of the board with a large terminal block underneth with heat shrink and the bottom of each end of the wire so it wasnt buzzing when you started and stopped , it also had a built in timer Ceebek kit so the time they had to do it was limited , the wand was made from a piece of 6mm bent into a loop with the end twisted and soldered to this was a piece of twisted 3 core wire with all three cores soldered together and the handle and top of cable were heat shrunk so you held the insulated part it all worked off a 7 AH battery and worked all day at a carnival biggest current draw if 15ma was the timer worked a treat and made £135 in a day at 50p a go ,got me thinking now ill have to make another one for this years carnival

Reply to How to make a Giant BUZZ WIRE Game in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net