http://www.venturelighting.com/lampshtmldocuments/uni-form_400w_lamps.html | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss http://www.venturelighting.com/lampshtmldocuments/uni-form_400w_lamps.html in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Inteificio

Hi,

Am new to industrial lighting, so have been hammering data sheets for the last few days and these seem VERY good.
Fast power up/restrike, very efficient.

http://www.venturelighting.com/lampshtmldocuments/uni-form_400w_lamps.html

T
he only issue is as I am new I am probably overlooking something, can anyone please offer advice.

We have a factory with 40lm/w 100w fittings (64).
light levels are VERY low, and needs massively updating.

I was thinking these units, probably 200w direct swap in, with the 400 in the high ceilings and localised fluorescents to highlight areas needing high light levels.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/tips that could help a new guy out?

Are these lights really as good as they look?
Is there something else I should consider that is efficient (am looking for ~100lm/w with good colour)

thanks

We did that last time, hence needing to re do the lighting =-)

Maths/design is easy part for me, but speccing the lighting is my weakness.
If I know what units are good I can adapt the design to use them, but my weakness is I only have datasheets to tell me what units are good!

A distributor is unlikely to tell me the true weaknesses of their system, if I believed every advert out there every system is better and more efficient than every other ;-)

To me the top standard systems seem to be either the T5 or newer generation metal halide. I just have little experience with halide, by little I mean NONE.
So any tips for a newbie in this area?

Last edited by a moderator:
At what height are these being hung from?

I have had a nightmare time trying to get the 250W metal halide lamps from them for the low bay lights, their sales to dispatch system is one of the worst out there, they had an order from Edmunsons before midday thursday and confirmed it would be on a next day delivery (what next day though?), on friday it turns out they did not dispatch them so was promised a saturday am delivery.....well as you can guess, a no show!!

That aside, these existing low bay 250W fittings are 8 meters high and are very bright, I hung 2 new ones (£60 + VAT each) at an area in the warehouse where a guy uses as a workshop and the light output is good.

Oh, and beware when a lamp is dead, you will have to fit their own, Sylvania and Phillips do not work, I found that out this week also!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Height varies, lowest probably 3m highest 9m.

Do you find the spec sheet is accurate for lux levels?
If it is accurate then I can spec relevant W for each level.

How have you found reliability?

Did you use the dimming option?

Thanks,

I am just replacing the lamps that have been in the fitting since 2002 that I know of, the building is approximately 20+ years old are are not of the dimming type.

I dont think you want to be fitting high bay lamps lamps as low as 3 meters in my opinion.

sorry that was just one of the lamps I was looking at from venture. You are right I would not be fitting a 400w at 3m.

Though you have to admit it would be funny watching someone trying to work underneath one as their clothing starts to smoke ;-)

Am I incorrect in assuming you can use those in both low and high bay lights?

In all honestly, go to your wholesaler and get a low bay metal halide light, either 250w or 400w and give it a try at various heights.

It all depends on the spacing between lights and what the working environment is as to how much light you need.

You wont get away with just changing the lamp within the fitting for a different type or a higher rated one as the control gear inside is relative to the lamp in use, well it is with Venture not sure about other manufacturers.

if i look back at my level 2 notes from tech , we were shown how to design a lighting scheme, but never actualy tested to see if it works... hes a pretty clued up lecturer so probably would... you need data sheets of what lamps can do and measurements of building then come back to me... and il spend 3 hours going through it.. if ya want....

Thanks for the offer I=, but not needed.

As long as the data sheets are reliable I would not have any issue designing the lighting solution.

My question on here related to the reliability, availability of parts, and whether the lights were as good as they seem to be or if there are any major weakness.

Mark has been exceptionally helpful in that regard. Seem reliable enough, being tied to venture seems a pain, I will run it past the powers that be and see what the verdict is.

Powers that be are unsurprisingly stalling.

Bought a lux meter to check illumination levels. I thought my part of the site was **** averaging 140 lux; one room is sub 50!!!!!!!

Health and safety breach AGAIN on stuff the manager has designed.

Hopefully as a health and safety breach management will cough up.

Reply to http://www.venturelighting.com/lampshtmldocuments/uni-form_400w_lamps.html in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net