hydraulic pump jammed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss hydraulic pump jammed in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davelerave

hey

got called to a steel punching machine today

basically there's a 230v hydraulic pump connected to a couple of solenoid valves and pistons

when the pump is started it appears to be seized and trips the c20 at the board

afaik these pumps run continuous and the valves operate the rams?

there was a limit swich seized which i freed up.

anyone familiar with these offer advice thanks

Have you checked out the motor. Is it the overload that is coming out or MCB. Are you sure that you are not trying to start it under load, due to an underlying fault. If the motor tests ok, the quickest way to prove motor is to split it from the pump then run it.
More info required to diagnose fault.

no

i could separate the motor from the hydraulics i suppose

should it run free regardless of the valves open or closed- i think so?

there s as a small oil tank

Have you checked out the motor. Is it the overload that is coming out or MCB. Are you sure that you are not trying to start it under load, due to an underlying fault. If the motor tests ok, the quickest way to prove motor is to split it from the pump then run it.
More info required to diagnose fault.

there's a manual starter in panel set at 25amp but the 20amp c type at board trips- final circuit must be undersized

i thought about separating them- no manual no drawing !!

but i figured the prob was on the pump/hydraulic side

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,
First, check the FLC of the motor & reset the TM O/L correctly to that.
You are correct in assuming the pump should run, unless there is a hydraulic fault. We'll come back to that later.
I would suggest you decouple the pump & motor & try the motor on its own.
IF you disconnect hydraulic lines KEEP THEM CLEAN!
Contamination greater than the clearances in the hydraulic compnents can cause failure,
Please understand that most hydraulic directional control valves have no seals they rely on clever fluid dynamics to seal the ways.
Dirt is a killer.

IF the electrics run OK then you could have a mechanical or hydraulic problem.
Try turning the pump by hand it may be stiff but really it should turn.
Depends a lot on the pump, there are many kinds pump data would help.
IF the system is designed such that they pump runs at all times against a pressure relief valve then this could be jammed.

Where are you, if you need a good electro mechanical engineer to solve give me a shout, it's what I do most days!

I also teach hydraulics!

;) ;) ;)

i think the pump runs at all times

motor overload at lowest setting in panel-25amp

gonna ring supplier-don't wanna get into hyraulics

Dave,
First, check the FLC of the motor & reset the TM O/L correctly to that.
You are correct in assuming the pump should run, unless there is a hydraulic fault. We'll come back to that later.
I would suggest you decouple the pump & motor & try the motor on its own.
IF you disconnect hydraulic lines KEEP THEM CLEAN!
Contamination greater than the clearances in the hydraulic compnents can cause failure,
Please understand that most hydraulic directional control valves have no seals they rely on clever fluid dynamics to seal the ways.
Dirt is a killer.

IF the electrics run OK then you could have a mechanical or hydraulic problem.
Try turning the pump by hand it may be stiff but really it should turn.
Depends a lot on the pump, there are many kinds pump data would help.
IF the system is designed such that they pump runs at all times against a pressure relief valve then this could be jammed.

Where are you, if you need a good electro mechanical engineer to solve give me a shout, it's what I do most days!

I also teach hydraulics!

;) ;) ;)

i spotted the limit switch seized alright

after i was gone one of the workers swapped the solenoid coils over
and got it going:D

Reply to hydraulic pump jammed in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks