I just want to work! niceic domestic installer questions | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss I just want to work! niceic domestic installer questions in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

manx1641

Hi guys

I know this subject will have been covered many times before and i've been reading up on here but i've read so much i'm even more confused now!

so i'll lay it out straight and hope to get some simple answers,

I work as an electrician doing building maintenance for a car company, i'm looking to leave and start up on my own.

i'm qualified to 16th edition and have 2391,
i want to be able to go in to domestic property, carry out work test and certify,

so what do i need to do?

i've been to the niceic site and looked at DIS, then got confused and now believe i need to be God himself to issue the paperwork!

i'm looking to be a one man band for the moment, and the niceic site keeps harping on about qualified supervisors, what/who are these?

can i just take the niceic's DIS assesment and providing i pass then be allowed to work by my self?

i patiently await your reply, i'm now off to dunk my head in cold water till it stops hurting:confused:

Hi guys

I know this subject will have been covered many times before and i've been reading up on here but i've read so much i'm even more confused now!

so i'll lay it out straight and hope to get some simple answers,

I work as an electrician doing building maintenance for a car company, i'm looking to leave and start up on my own.

i'm qualified to 16th edition and have 2391,
i want to be able to go in to domestic property, carry out work test and certify,

so what do i need to do?

i've been to the niceic site and looked at DIS, then got confused and now believe i need to be God himself to issue the paperwork!

i'm looking to be a one man band for the moment, and the niceic site keeps harping on about qualified supervisors, what/who are these?

can i just take the niceic's DIS assesment and providing i pass then be allowed to work by my self?

i patiently await your reply, i'm now off to dunk my head in cold water till it stops hurting:confused:

Hello. Don't worry too much, it looks alot more complicated than it is!! If you want to be a one man band then you yourself will be the Qualified supervisor. You will need to have 17th edition although I believe that you can become registered as long as you can show sufficient knowledge of 17th. I think that the NIC then give you 12 months to gain the 17th edition. I am assuming that you have a 2360 or 2330 as you also have 2391, in which case you will be fine to join up.
All you have to do is pass the assesment which is 2 seperate jobs that you nominate for inspection. You will also need a minimum of £2 million public liability insurance, a health & safety policy, copies of EAWR and Part P document, and suitable testing equipment and voltage indicating device for safe isolation.

Thanks for your reply.

i'll need to go and check the course numbers om the cetificates i have as i did electrical installation as part of my engineering aprenticship a few years ago, is it a necessity to have the 2360 or 2330? going back to college on top of 60hours a week shift work would be a pain:( i understand that the work differs from what i am doing now (building maintanence) but the skill are the same.

The nic HQ is just down the road from me so i might have to go have word.:)

Yes I'm pretty sure it is a requirement to have a practical and theory based qualifiaction such as the 2330. If you were to ring the niceic they would advise you on this as a 2391 is in my opinion a better qualifiaction.

Thanks for the replys, i'll give them a ring and see what happens, i thought i read somewhere that if you were a time served electrician you would be ok, it's not as if i'm new to this i just didn't do the 3-4 years at college as my job didn't require it,

it would be a huge set back if that were the case though.

i checked the course numbers earlier and it is 2380 and 2391 that i have got, i'm just sorting out booking for the 17th ed update now.

Reply to I just want to work! niceic domestic installer questions in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net