Switch with terminals labeled 1-5. Where should the hot and neutral go? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Switch with terminals labeled 1-5. Where should the hot and neutral go? in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sKiTzo

DIY
Reaction score
[ElectriciansForums.net] Switch with terminals labeled 1-5. Where should the hot and neutral go?

I want the switch to turn the outlet on and off. Drawing of front and back of switch with terminals labeled 1-5. Where should the hot and neutral go?

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 117546

I want the switch to turn the outlet on and off. Drawing of front and back of switch with terminals labeled 1-5. Where should the hot and neutral go?
I highly suggest that you read the instructions on the switch. The only way you can tell is have a multi meter and find the contacts that open and close which would be the switch. Then the other 2 screws maybe 3-4 with 4 being the neutral since it’s a color is not gold.

Similar layout? Best to check with multimeter.
Does that bridge between terminals 1 and 2 pull out, or have you removed a tab already?
Looks like if you left the bridge in place, and connect Hot to 3, N to 4, and E to 5, that would do what you require.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Switch with terminals labeled 1-5. Where should the hot and neutral go?

Last edited:
Similar layout? Best to check with multimeter.
Does that bridge between terminals 1 and 2 pull out, or have you removed a tab already?
Looks like if you left the bridge in place, and connect Hot to 3, N to 4, and E to 5, that would do what you require.

View attachment 117587
Thank You Avo! That is the answer I was looking for. No, no tab has been pulled out and the bridge has been left intact.

Thank You Avo! That is the answer I was looking for. No, no tab has been pulled out and the bridge has been left intact.
So you are good to go. Don't follow the diagram 2 that I posted since that requires the tab to be removed.
Instead connect the incoming hot to the top left terminal 3, and let the tab do the connection between 1 and 2.

The only issue might be that the 'bridge' in the pic. might not actually be connecting 1 and 2, in which case the socket won't become live when you switch it on. If that's the case, just mimic the bridge by strapping 1 and 2 together.

Reply to Switch with terminals labeled 1-5. Where should the hot and neutral go? in the USA Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net