Imbalance Current in Paralled Generators | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Imbalance Current in Paralled Generators in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AzmiNgisok

Hi, I've 3 set generators and 2 set need to run parallel everyday. Today I facing a problems where the current canot be balanced when I shared the loads to 2 generators. Is it due to problems on the AVR card?:D

Hi.

The AVR is just that a voltage regulator. All this does is monitor the output voltage at the windings and keeps it within a set tolerance by increasing or decreasing engine speed accordingly.

What type of loading are you trying to balance?? Are there a lot of single phase loads?? it may be that you wont be able to balance them equally.

I'm working onboard ship where the supply for all the equipment(loads) are from generators. Most of the loads is 3ph motor, lighting system and computer system. In normal condition I'll paralleling 2 gen and shared all the loads equally. This imbalance current (kw as well) only happen when I parallel gen no 1 and 2, and no 1 and 3 but no problem for gen no 2 and 3. It seems the problem is in gen no 1 or switchboard panel gen no 1.

What instrument are you using to measure the balancing of the loading, i.e how do you know the loads are out??

Could it be the alternator on Gen 1 needs looking at??

I'm using clamp meter to measure the current on each phase, also my switchboard have a computer system to monitoring the loads and current for each gen set. The curent values from clamp meter and monitoring system for gen no 1 are same.
As you said need to looking on alternator no 1, which part of alternator can be suspected have a problems. I've measured the insulation for the winding and it give a good insulated value.

Hy sorry for late replay...you have a problem with no.1 gen. I think you have an auto load sharing system onboard...you tried to keep manual load sharing ? Same problem ? Usually is a problem with the diesel generator as mechanics are with higher probabilitty of breakdown than alternators....check the electrical motor for diesel engine governor it is a small motor usually 24VDC or 120VAC that is keeping the same RPM of engine.

Reply to Imbalance Current in Paralled Generators in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net