immersion timer coincidence or not? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss immersion timer coincidence or not? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkatus12

Hi all had a call out the other day to an immersion heater timer that was apparently glowing red. When I got there I found that the thermal overload had burnt a hole through the side of the timer. The problem is is that this is the second timer that has melted in the last twelve months. (It is a well known timer.) The immersion was pulling 12.2 amps and there are no signs of heat damage to any cables and nothing tripped. Has anybody had this before as understandably the customer wants to know why it has happened twice. Bad luck or underlying problem?.

Found this 2 times on the EQ7 (dont know what you have) but after replacing them again it was ok (checked voltage supply ok, load ok, terminals tight and stat worked correctly)
I put it down to faulty timers

I'm going back in the morning. I thought about this but wouldn't the water boil in the tank and how could this burn the timer out. What I don't get is why the overload was glowing but didn't blow.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going back in the morning. I thought about this but wouldn't the water boil in the tank and how could this burn the timer out. What I don't get is why the overload was glowing but didn't blow.

Sparkatus, for the benefit of others what make is it? Good for people to know of dodgy kit and someone may have had similar problems.

Definitely worth e-mailing a photo to the manufacturers. If this is the second one you've had there's bound to be others. The manufacturer may even have to do a recall, like the Wylex MCBs.

Reply to immersion timer coincidence or not? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net