Important! Need evidence | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Important! Need evidence in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just a little reminder to those of you who actually give a damn about the state of our industry at present, we need more evidence submitted to DCLG for their next commitee meeting. The deadline is December I believe.

As it stands, although some decent pieces have been written, the number of pieces written in the eyes of the scamsters amounts to just a small number of disgruntled electricians. As it stands, the evidence so far presented could not be seen to represent the industry as a whole.

If you care, write in. It doesn't need to be an essay, a couple of paragraphs would do. Remember, we need a volume of electricians that are all singing from the same hymn sheet to get involved, it is the only way we stand a change of seeing change.

Do you want to see a government run and mandatory scheme for qualified electrical contractors?
Are you tired of giving your hard earned money to scamsters such as the NIC?
Are you sick of having your potential customers nicked off you by 5WWs charging peanuts just to get an 'in' into the market?
Do you want to see the end of the Electrical Trainee?
Are you fed up of having your reputation tarred by those who don't know what they are talking about?
Do you want to see more effort made by the powers that be to increase awareness of electrical safety and the importance of using qualified electricians?
Do you want to see electrical accessories taken off the shelves at B&Q?
Do you want to see a consistent minimum standard of training across the board?

If your answer is yes to any of these questions then get off your backside and get involved!!!

Building Regulations certification of electrical installation and repairs in dwellings - UK Parliament

There's none so blind as those who wish not to see.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Important! Need evidence

A well placed reminder to those that will only moan at a later date, as always only after the horse has already bolted!!

You can bet that the scams would have been the first to have submitted their offerings and it won't be anything beneficial as far as the industry is concerned. Probably more to do with inappropriate maneuvering to claw more money from existing and future members!!

BTW, I have sent my two penneth in, ....actually it was more like a couple of bob's worth!! lol!!

Just a little reminder to those of you who actually give a damn about the state of our industry at present, we need more evidence submitted to DCLG for their next commitee meeting. The deadline is December I believe.

As it stands, although some decent pieces have been written, the number of pieces written in the eyes of the scamsters amounts to just a small number of disgruntled electricians. As it stands, the evidence so far presented could not be seen to represent the industry as a whole.

If you care, write in. It doesn't need to be an essay, a couple of paragraphs would do. Remember, we need a volume of electricians that are all singing from the same hymn sheet to get involved, it is the only way we stand a change of seeing change.

Do you want to see a government run and mandatory scheme for qualified electrical contractors?
Are you tired of giving your hard earned money to scamsters such as the NIC?
Are you sick of having your potential customers nicked off you by 5WWs charging peanuts just to get an 'in' into the market?
Do you want to see the end of the Electrical Trainee?
Are you fed up of having your reputation tarred by those who don't know what they are talking about?
Do you want to see more effort made by the powers that be to increase awareness of electrical safety and the importance of using qualified electricians?
Do you want to see electrical accessories taken off the shelves at B&Q?
Do you want to see a consistent minimum standard of training across the board?

If your answer is yes to any of these questions then get off your backside and get involved!!!

Building Regulations certification of electrical installation and repairs in dwellings - UK Parliament

I’ll provide the sharpened knives and back you up every inch of the way.

Like E54 it’s never bothered me directly. BUT and this is a big but, I want this trade to drag it’s self to where it used to be and should be.

An electrician was respected, I despair now.

Hi
How do I give my 5 pennysworth? do I just write as a reply?

Communities and Local Government Committee
Select Committee Announcement

Specific Committee Information: [email protected] 020 7219 1353 or 020 7219 4972
Media Information: David Foster, 020 7219 7556/07917 488 729 [email protected]
Committee Website: www.parliament.uk/clgcom
Watch committees and parliamentary debates online: www.parliamentlive.tv
Follow us on twitter: @commonsclg

Thursday 24 October 2013
For Immediate Release

CALL FOR EVIDENCE

CLG Committee calls for submissions on Building Regulations certification of electrical installation and repairs in dwellings.

The Committee invites submissions from those with experience of the operation of the electrical competent persons scheme to establish whether it is operating in the best interests of the public.

Competent Person Schemes allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector.

Following up its inquiry and subsequent report on building regulations, the Committee took oral evidence on 2 September 2013 from bodies responsible for accrediting the competent persons scheme for domestic electrical works. A number of those who watched the session subsequently wrote to the Committee to express concern about the operation of the scheme. Today their submissions have been posted on the Committee's website. The Committee wants to establish whether these are isolated problems or point to wider, systemic inadequacies with the competent persons scheme.

1. The Committee is keen to establish: the extent to which members of the public are aware of the competent persons scheme and that certain domestic electrical works need to be reviewed and certified to meet the requirements of Building Regulations;
  2. the extent to which those carrying out electrical works are adequately trained to meet the requirements of the Building Regulations and the extent to which all those working for a company are brought up to the same level of skills;
  3. the extent to which those carrying out electrical works, to which the Building Regulations apply, review or have their work reviewed to ensure that it meets the requirements of the Regulations;
  4. the adequacy of the review of electrical works carried out by Competent Persons;
  5. the effect of competition between accreditation bodies, and the two separate registers of electricians, on the standards of review of domestic electrical work; and
  6. the adequacy of the supervision by DCLG of the accreditation schemes.
Deadline
The Committee asks for written submissions in accordance with the guidelines below by noon on Thursday 5 December 2013. As a guideline submissions should be no longer than 3000 words.

Please note
As part of a scheme to encourage paperless working and maximise efficiency, the Committee is piloting a new web portal for online submissions of written evidence. Written submissions for this inquiry should therefore be sent via the Communities and Local Government website.

Link to submit your evidence
Link to guidance on submitting written evidence

Please note submissions should not be submitted as pdfs. If you have any problems with the web portal please contact Emma McIntosh, Senior Committee Assistant on 0207 219 4972.

Submissions should be uploaded via the Committee website no later than the deadline.

Notes for Editors:

Submissions of no more than 3,000 words are invited until noon on 5 December 2013.

FURTHER INFORMATION:
Committee Membership is as follows: Mr Clive Betts (Chair, Lab), Bob Blackman (Con), Simon Danczuk (Lab), Mrs Mary Glindon (Lab), David Heyes (Lab), James Morris (Con), Mark Pawsey (Con), John Pugh, (Lib Dem), Andy Sawford (Lab/Co-op), John Stevenson (Con) and Heather Wheeler (Con).

Publications / Reports / Reference Material: Copies of all select committee reports are available from the Parliamentary Bookshop (12 Bridge St, Westminster, 020 7219 3890) or the Stationery Office (0845 7023474). Committee reports, press releases, evidence transcripts, Bills; research papers, a directory of MPs, plus Hansard (from 8am daily) and much more, can be found on www.parliament.uk Home page - UK Parliament

And.....for the record, myself and 3 or 4 others from the boards were some of the few to write in which caused the above to happen. Change CAN happen - but only if you get off your arses and make it happen.

i'm gonna play devils advocate and say be careful what you wish for.
Ideally this is what I wish for. Less profiteering, more value for money and tighter guidelines, but do you know what, I couldn't care less if it cost twice as much to be registered with a government run scheme, so long as it meant that nobody could operate as an electrician in this country without being fully qualified!

It would be a much better deal if fully qualified sparks could be on the same deal as the gas safe boys and be assessed once every 5 years.

I'd look at it the other way and say they should be assessed every year, 5 years is a long time to hold a 'ticket' without any assessments as to your competency and on-going work! But it feeds into such a bigger picture for lots of different trades that can have fatal consequences!. Not to mention doctors who are only looked at every 5 years ......

Reply to Important! Need evidence in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net