induction hob | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss induction hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amckay

A friend has just text me and asked if he can put an induction hob (beko hic64402 t) on a plug. I've just downloaded the user manual and it states to use cable type h05rrf 3g 2.5.
I've just googled that and it came up as Chinese manufacturers/sellers.
Never fitted or worked with hobs before so just wondered what you good people thought.
My first thoughts were 4mm t+e but it may appear I can get away with 2.5mm
But surely it can't go on a plug?

You do a sum.
Then apply diversity. (not the rubbish dance group of Britain's Got Talent fame)
Then do some more sums which will give you the actual wattage.
You can then decide what the rating of the MCB should be and the csa of the cable that will supply it after taking derating factors into account.
(clue - you're unlikely to be able to supply this with a 13 amp supply)

6mm twin and earth. hard wired

It will be referencing total connected load (which will exceed the actual total possible load). If they say 2.5 flex is fine then obviously it is fine.

And 2.5 cannot go into a BS 1363 plug - the maximum is 1.5

It will be referencing total connected load (which will exceed the actual total possible load). If they say 2.5 flex is fine then obviously it is fine.

And 2.5 cannot go into a BS 1363 plug - the maximum is 1.5

2.5 can go in to 13A plugs, you just have to get the right plugs. Duraplug are definately specced up to 2.5 and I think permaplug are too.

I meant that as a reply to uksparks.

Ho5rr-f is a fairly common cable, vv-f or rn-f variants are not veryuch different as far as this application is concerned.
I can't remember the full details, but the breakdown is roughly:
H - harmonized
03 - 300Volt 05 -500Volt 07 - 750Volt
R - rubber N - neoprene (first letter insulation, second letter sheath)

Core size code tells you number of cores, whether it's has an earth and the size of the cores:

4G2.5mm is 4 cores, with earth coloured core, size 2.5mm

2X1.5 is 2 cores, no earth coloured core, size 1.5mm

You do a sum.
Then apply diversity. (not the rubbish dance group of Britain's Got Talent fame)
Then do some more sums which will give you the actual wattage.
You can then decide what the rating of the MCB should be and the csa of the cable that will supply it after taking derating factors into account.
(clue - you're unlikely to be able to supply this with a 13 amp supply)

It'll have to be 4mm (CCC is 36A) as 6.7kw = 31.02A. Can't really apply diversity as its in a butty shop so will be constant use (although I get it toggles on/off when reached desired temp)

Thanks everyone else

No requirement to be hardwired as far as I know, in fact you can usually see the sockets for the cookers etc in a lot of fast food places.

Ceeform/commando sockets and plugs are available in 16, 32, 63 and 125 Amp sizes, once you go bigger than that you get into 'powerlock' connectors. These are mainly used by the DNO's and teh entertainment industry. If you see a DNO generator in use with a bunch of orange singles coming out of it they usually have powerlocks on the end. I am familliar with them from the entertainment industry due to having to drag the blasted cables through mud, p!ss and sh!t at festivals.

And here's a pic of 400A powerlock extension leads, the 660A and 800A versions look pretty much identical.

[ElectriciansForums.net] induction hob

Reply to induction hob in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net