industrial commercial qualifications | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss industrial commercial qualifications in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

monkeyelectric

Hi guys, what qualifications are needed to do industrial and commercial work?
Obviously knowing how to spell commercial in the title helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: industrial ommercial qualifications

technically only competant but 17th edition and 2391 are usually asked for then its experiance in particular areas depending on the job

Re: industrial ommercial qualifications

Are you talking about installation work or maintenance?
Both really, it is much more interesting than domestic but does'nt seem much more difficult, i know there are many that say about voltage drops and phase balancing but its all the same regs, just wondered what the qualifications needed are:)

I have found a lad just out of his time in domestic work is more genned up than a lad who has just come out his time doing commercial but saying that the lad doing commercial will be a whizz at putting containment up i.e. tube and tray etc but making the transition from either to industrial is a difficult step but does bring more interesting work i have been lucky enough to do domestic/commercial then move on to industrial i have all the relevent quals but im at present doing nvq 3 engineering maintenance (electrical) i would personally give commercial a go pretty much the same as domestic with some meccano thrown in but industrial is were the more future opportunities lie you only have to read the news about the need for nuclear power and the amount of work it will bring our way anyway sorry to drone on good luck matey.:):D

Last edited:
I once worked under the guidance of a pipefitter, during my days in factory utilities maintenance.
I asked him what the difference was between a pipefitter and plumber.

His response: "A pipefitter can do plumbing...".

The difference between a house-basher and factory spark: training.

HB is more stringent, more awkward, not 24/7

Elec maintenance in factories is more diverse... you're not just faultfinding supplies, running in cables, resetting mcbs. It's troubleshooting machines, maintaining safety devices, motors, drives, logic controllers using multi-page schematics to different standards, languages... sometimes without schematics and at stupid o'clock in the morning with no/incorrect spares.

The only difference is training!

I know domestic lads who couldn't hack the factory sparking and some who have excelled and found their calling. I'd hate to be a domestic spark. Pandering to pedantic clients, keeping to appointments, working around them, etc... I suppose that comes as part of the training too!

HB is more stringent, more awkward, not 24/7

Not sure house bashing is more stringent when you throw in the multi page risk assessments and method statements needed to get you onto an industrial or large commercial site. With regard to 24/7, just because it's late or a weekend doesn't stop homeowners ringing you it's the call out charge that puts them off:D

Elec maintenance in factories is more diverse... you're not just faultfinding supplies, running in cables, resetting mcbs. It's troubleshooting machines, maintaining safety devices, motors, drives, logic controllers using multi-page schematics to different standards, languages... sometimes without schematics and at stupid o'clock in the morning with no/incorrect spares.
Some of the industrial training makes domestic fault finding easier, on the industrial side there is always something new to get to grips with

I know domestic lads who couldn't hack the factory sparking and some who have excelled and found their calling. I'd hate to be a domestic spark. Pandering to pedantic clients, keeping to appointments, working around them, etc... I suppose that comes as part of the training too!
I know industrial contracting sparks who hate to be in the same factory full time because it gets boring

Having served an apprenticeship in industrial contracting I found it was easier to transfer skills to the domestic jobs. The industrial experience has enabled me to have a very diverse career including high access radio rigging and sparking

The only thing to remember is you are never to old or to clever to learn something new

Reply to industrial commercial qualifications in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net