Industrial fan installation | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Industrial fan installation in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bal

Hi,

Just a quick general query.

I'm a technician overseeing the installation of an industrial fan in the apex of a factory about 25ft off the ground.

A fan controller is located on a wall in an enlcosed area - as the fan itself is high up in the apex approx. 25ft high I have installed an isolation switch next to the controller - this isolates power to the controller and by default the fan itself.

The distribution panel supplying power to the panel is located 10 feet away from the fan controller.

Is the isolation switch location ok or should it be near the fan 25ft up?? - I think in residential installations an isolation switch needs to be near the fan itself - does this apply in an industrial environment?? given the height of the fan above the controller.

regards

As long as the Isolator is lockable it should be Ok where it is, having said that having an isolator within 2 metres to the fan is preferable, having said that years ago I have seen a sparky break down a tower only to realise he has left the isolator off (yeh it was me:eek:)

Thanks for that and normally I would put an isolator right next to a fan - but I have installed it next to the controller as its more probably we will have a problem with the controller which has no internal isolation point.

As an additional point the whole installation is within a caged area with controlled entry.

Do you think I should install a second isolation switch next to the fan??

Another point - can I run flex inside pvc conduit??

regards

Thanks for that and normally I would put an isolator right next to a fan - but I have installed it next to the controller as its more probably we will have a problem with the controller which has no internal isolation point.

As an additional point the whole installation is within a caged area with controlled entry.

Do you think I should install a second isolation switch next to the fan?? As Gaz said as long as the isolator next to the controller is lockable then no real need, although nothing wrong with doing so.

Another point - can I run flex inside pvc conduit?? Yes.:)

regards

Also, if the caged area is lockable too then I can see no real reason for an additional isolator.

Reply to Industrial fan installation in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net