Industrial or Commercial? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Industrial or Commercial? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leolec

I've been asked by one of my statisfied domestic customers for a quote for ten double skts and 4 strip lights in a new "Workshop". The job looks to be very straight forward no heavy equipment a bandsaw benchdrill and a number of handtools so the load is pretty low, I might need to install a rod but am in the process of checking that however;

They have a 3 phase supply on site and want to put L1 L2 & L3 into the workshop just incase they need the extra capacity later, so have laid a four core SWA from the 415V DB which has a number of MCB spaces vacant and not blanked off. (Are db's supposed to be IP2 rated?)

Anyway, this is the first time I've encountered the 3'L's and although I'm qual'd for the skts and lights and only need 1L the db I need to install will need all three.

So as a dom com can I do it?

Assuming your a qualified spark yes, assuming you know what your doing, strangly enough you can carry out commercial and industrial but not notifiable domestic unless you carry part p

Install a 3ph DB in the workshop and run your lighting and sockets from that, leave enough extra ways for any extra equipment that may be required in future. Make sure you've correctly sized your cable for volt drop and loading alllowing extra capactiy as customer request. Don't forget about stroboscopic when installing flourestant lighting. job done.

hey..this is very easy and you just need to install stroboscopic as Strikers said. It will help you a lot and will help in loading the fluorescent lights. This will make your work easy and it will go smoothly.

Wish you Luck.

Can you do it? Well, to do it you need to be competent, and being classed as competent comes from a mixture of qualifications and experience. However, if you could only be deemed competent if you had done a particular job before, none of us would could ever become competent. Apart from the qualifications and experience, being competent is also about being able to size up a task, to establish how it could be done, to do some research, then to establish how it should be done.

Take your time, do your research well, and if you feel it is within your ability to do a good job, then get on with it. I find in circumstances like this it is best to be honest with the customer - tell them you have not done this before, that you will need to do some research, and that you will be taking your time to ensure that you will do a good job, but that the customer will not be charged by the hour. For costing purposes, assume you already know all about installing 3ph and give him a price accordingly. So if you charge for two days and it takes you a week, the customer has not lost out financially and he has in all likelihood got a good install - he already knows and trusts you. You will not make money on the job, but will gain valuable experience. Invest in yourself.

hey..this is very easy and you just need to install stroboscopic as Strikers said. It will help you a lot and will help in loading the fluorescent lights. This will make your work easy and it will go smoothly.

Wish you Luck.

Not laughed this much in ages. Install stroboscopic do you know what it is? Put stroboscopic effect in google and find out.

I'm under the impression that installing hf florey should overcome this, presumably because the frequency of the hf florey is far higher than the rotation of the equipment

Reply to Industrial or Commercial? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net