industrual qualifications?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss industrual qualifications?? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all, ive been reading through this forum for quite a while and found loads of really useful stuff, except this:I am 17th ed qualified but i dont have my 2391 yet. I have been told i can still test my industrial installations without it as 2391 is more directed at domestic use??Does this sound about right or am i completely off track??Cheers,Joel.

Hi Joel, welcome to the forum. You can test all installations if your competent without CG2391. CG2391 is however, one of the best ways of demonstrating this competence. CG2391 is definitely not solely aimed at domestic installations, part of the reason it so difficult is because it covers the whole gammut and so the breadth knowledge required is equally wide.

When I did the 2391 the colleges testing boards were a mix of single phase and three phase. I should mention that testing was handled in the last two weeks of the 12 week course with the other 10 weeks focusing on deciphering C&G's poorly worded/cryptic questions. Honestly the paper wouldn't be so hard if it was worded better. Engineers shouldn't write examinations lol!

2391 will most often contain questions outside the scope of domestic work. The practical assessment consists of 3 phase, SWA, motor controls and MI.

The reason I asked is all the companies I’ve worked for wouldn’t entertain anyone coming in from outside to do a PIR. But I’ve always worked to M&Q and Foundries Acts, a lot stricter.

Will it be any use in industry?

To be brutally honest it's not really mate,I have the qualification as I was thinking of jumping on the domestic bandwagon back in 2006/7 when they were charging £5000 for a weeks work.

I've NEVER been asked to use it or even had it suggested to be used in industry,it's really pretty useless in that respect.

However as a course I found it very interesting,the actual testing element was great,pretty standard stuff but good.

The theory really drags on it though,very deep,lots to remember but quite eye opening.

Back to the op's question,2391's far from essential in industry but it maybe worth getting as much faultfinding and electrical diagram practice as possible before you tackle any interviews.

Reply to industrual qualifications?? in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net