Installing new Induction Hob & Oven | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Installing new Induction Hob & Oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jparker86

Hello,

I am in the process of having a new kitchen installed and included in that is replacing our gas hob with induction hob.
Currently I have a 32a MCB running less than 10M from the consumer unit via 6mm cable to the cooker switch where it connects to the oven.

I am wanting to know if I can use this same connection to connect both my induction hob (1 x 2.2kW & 3 x 1.8kW) and electric oven (3.65kW).

In addition to the above I need to add:

1 x Microwave (2kW max with grill and 1kW without)
1 x Steam oven (2kW)
2 x Warm Drawer (810w each)
1 x Extractor Fan (285w)

I planned to extend my plug socket ring to add the above.

Will I be ok?

your hob and oven will be fine on the 6mm cable protected with the 32A MCB.

i'd be inclined to run a separate 32A 4mm radial for the microwave and steam oven .

the warm drawer and extractor can be fed from the existing RFC.

Hello,

I am in the process of having a new kitchen installed and included in that is replacing our gas hob with induction hob.
Currently I have a 32a MCB running less than 10M from the consumer unit via 6mm cable to the cooker switch where it connects to the oven.

I am wanting to know if I can use this same connection to connect both my induction hob (1 x 2.2kW & 3 x 1.8kW) and electric oven (3.65kW).Yes

In addition to the above I need to add:
1 x Microwave (2kW max with grill and 1kW without) Should have a dedicated radial
1 x Steam oven (2kW)As above
2 x Warm Drawer (810w each)A single radial for both would be ideal,but can be on RFC
1 x Extractor Fan (285w)Fine on RFC

I planned to extend my plug socket ring to add the above.

Will I be ok?

I hope you are aware that the work as above will come under part P and will need to be registered with BC. It also has to be carried out in accordance with Bs7671,which includes testing and certification.Failure to comply is breaking the law.

oven and hob will be fine on 32a mcb and 6mm

You do really need to install a new circuit to the the appliances 2kw and over but most installs I see electricians don't do this for microwaves as they say you would normally plug it in and there not used much but I would because its a fixed appliance and since you have others to be connected then its good to get the load off the ring final

Hi guys,
Sorry I am not planning on doing all this work myself- I was just wanting to prepare myself to know if I am going to have to rip the ceiling the bits between kitchen and consumer unit. Problem is my consumer unit is maxed out as it is and the feed coming in from outside is split into two going into a 2nd consumer unit which is also at capacity!

This is why I was asking if it would be feasable to just extend me socket ring for microwave, steam oven and warming drawers

here's some more straws to cling to.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Installing new Induction Hob & Oven

saving a shilling never works when compromising safety.

Overall the best design is to keep heavy loads off the ring, however in most kitchens around the country heavy loads have been routinely connected into the ring.
If you are having the kitchen redone then it is a good time to get your supply arrangements sorted at the same time.
Because you are asking on an electricians forum you will get advise on the best way to do things for long term longevity of your electrical installation.
However this does not prevent you from arranging with your electrician to do something different. so long as he has made an appropriate assessment of the load profile on the ring to ensure it is not overloaded.

Overall the best design is to keep heavy loads off the ring, however in most kitchens around the country heavy loads have been routinely connected into the ring.
If you are having the kitchen redone then it is a good time to get your supply arrangements sorted at the same time.
Because you are asking on an electricians forum you will get advise on the best way to do things for long term longevity of your electrical installation.
However this does not prevent you from arranging with your electrician to do something different. so long as he has made an appropriate assessment of the load profile on the ring to ensure it is not overloaded.

Following on from Richards post above, make ''SURE'' you employ a fully qualified electrician to make those assessments and implement them. Unfortunately there are far too many imposters out there that have minimal training (some with just 17 days training) and are frankly incapable making viable assessments, let alone implementing them... So consider yourself warned!! lol!!

These sort of people spend money to impress friends and family and neighbours, with little to no thought given to the ongoing safety of their own family throughout the whole house, not just the kitchen which a new 17th ed RCD CU would achieve. Probably the best money spent on the whole project too!! lol!!

These sort of people spend money to impress friends and family and neighbours, with little to no thought given to the ongoing safety of their own family throughout the whole house, not just the kitchen which a new 17th ed RCD CU would achieve. Probably the best money spent on the whole project too!! lol!!

When I talk to clients I liken a new CU and bonding along the lines of house foundations - you wouldn't build a house without foundations and why would you spend loads on a new kitchen/extension/bathroom and not upgrade the board??

Following on from Richards post above, make ''SURE'' you employ a fully qualified electrician to make those assessments and implement them. Unfortunately there are far too many imposters out there that have minimal training (some with just 17 days training) and are frankly incapable making viable assessments, let alone implementing them... So consider yourself warned!! lol!!
Chuckle and one or two of them browse here as well lmao.

Reply to Installing new Induction Hob & Oven in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net