Insulation Resistance - I.T. Equipment | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Insulation Resistance - I.T. Equipment in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sweetcheeks82

Hi, ive just received my copy of COP4th Edition.
It says that insualtion resistance test 500V dc might harm I.T. equipment and to use alternative method.
I am using Martindale EasyPat 2100 which cant do 250V dc. Can anyone recommend a portable test instrument for the alternative test methods please? Thanks

Hi - All power supplies fitted on PC's after 1995 must comply to BSEN 60950. These power supplies are perfectly capable of withstanding a 500VDC insulation resistance test. Test away - I shouldn't have thought that you'll come across many PC's dated before 1995.

Just make sure that you conduct your earth bond continuity test (for IT equipment) at 100mA and not 8A or 25A.

Thanks.

(No new toy) so how do i get around testing a surge protected extension lead?

Hi - All power supplies fitted on PC's after 1995 must comply to BSEN 60950. These power supplies are perfectly capable of withstanding a 500VDC insulation resistance test. Test away - I shouldn't have thought that you'll come across many PC's dated before 1995.

Just make sure that you conduct your earth bond continuity test (for IT equipment) at 100mA and not 8A or 25A.

I don't think you will be able to with the PAT tester in question. You may have to look into a cheaper battery powered unit that would offer the 250VDC test.

I don't think you will be able to with the PAT tester in question. You may have to look into a cheaper battery powered unit that would offer the 250VDC test.

Thanks i will look into that.

Sorry Next Question:
When testing I.T equipment is this correct:
IEC Lead - Earth @ 25A, Insulation, Polarity - Label (if pass)
PC with own IEC Lead - Earth @ 100mA, Insualtion, Run Current - Label (if pass)
I record IEC Lead and pc tests as separate items and label e.g. IEC = 0001 and pc 0001A - is this correct?
Thanks.

Sounds ok - basically it's always best to carry out the highest current earth bond test possible (without damaging equipment)

Run tests are not a legal requirement so it's up to you/your customer if you carry out this test or not

For Printers:
Class I - Lead Test for IEC @ 25A
Printer with IEC Lead - Earth Continuity
Class II - Lead Test

Sorry Next Question:
When testing I.T equipment is this correct:
IEC Lead - Earth @ 25A, Insulation, Polarity - Label (if pass)
I record IEC Lead and pc tests as separate items and label e.g. IEC = 0001 and pc 0001A - is this correct?
Thanks.

Run tests are not a legal requirement so it's up to you/your customer if you carry out this test or not

I certainly wouldn't recommend doing tests such as run current/leakage etc, on items such as computers.
To get any meaningful reading, you'd need the computer to start booting, but then the test would end mid-boot. Not good for the general health of the computer, that.

I'd drop any 230V-powered tests, and just stick to the soft earth bond (20mA - 200mA), and soft insulation resistance (250V dc)

Thanks i do lead test and then now only doin earth @100mA and insulation.

I certainly wouldn't recommend doing tests such as run current/leakage etc, on items such as computers.
To get any meaningful reading, you'd need the computer to start booting, but then the test would end mid-boot. Not good for the general health of the computer, that.

I'd drop any 230V-powered tests, and just stick to the soft earth bond (20mA - 200mA), and soft insulation resistance (250V dc)

Reply to Insulation Resistance - I.T. Equipment in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net