• Start date
  • Replies 1
  • Views 133

Currently reading:
Intro

Discuss Intro in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Michael Grant

Got a message asking me to post, so here's my initial post...

I have found answers to some electrical questions on this forum over the years and finally decided to register. I'm not an electrician! But I did study electronics and have done quite a bit of my own small house electrical wiring fixes over the years.

I often look power poles and wonder what's going on. Usually I can suss out what's going on like ok, there's the 3 phases, they each go into this transformer there and then the lower voltage phase comes out and they continue down the street. Other times I look at poles and things make little sense.

I live in Europe, but I have family in the US. I can't help but notice that when I use an electric kettle there that it takes ages to boil. Last one I looked at there, the wattage was 1500 watts, but the kettle I have here which runs off 240VAC states it's 3000 watts. I wonder if I were to just plug the US kettle into a 240 outlet like for an air conditioner in the US if it would fry it or if it would boil water like the UK version. I can't see why it wouldn't. I've also considered just bringing a cheap UK kettle to the US. Someone surely must have tried all of this before me!

Anyway, it's questions like that that I sometimes wonder about and that's why I finally registered.

Michael Grant

Hi and welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting. I'll stay out of the advice because I'm not a sparky. But welcome aboard and if you need anything just ask. :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Intro in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock