Is a fan required in a room with just a toilet and basin? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Is a fan required in a room with just a toilet and basin? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
The project manager has said he thinks a fan is required in a room with a toilet and basin (it has an opening window). This is an existing toilet room the only difference being is that they are making the room a little smaller, no alterations to the electrics have taken place (just moved the light centrally.

I really cant see that a fan is required as its existing, it has a window, and theres no shower/bath, but due to my inexperience I cant say with certainty to the chap that it doesn't require one?

oh yes.... plus a bit unsure why he is worried. He says that when the building inspecter comes around he will check all the electrics meet the regs as well as the rest of the work undertaken, I thought the whole idea of belonging to a scheme was that I sign it off and the building inspecter has nothing to do with it?

if building work has taken place subject to building control, then a BI will be inspecting the job. best thing is to ask him . if he says you need to fit a fan, then fit one.

Building inspectors do not all sing form the same hymn sheet so take care. Can you net print off the relevent doc and review it with the PM/Inpsector.

Mind you if they want extra work, then isn't that a bonus!

My local one is requesting 2 x smoke alarms within 3 meters of each other, despite the first one being within the 7.5 m range of all the bedrooms - go figure.

Ill let you follow me for use of the toilet especially after curry night.... an open window is pointless on a calm day compared to a forced air flow, ill then let you judge whether a fan is beneficial ;)

Ill let you follow me for use of the toilet especially after curry night.... an open window is pointless on a calm day compared to a forced air flow, ill then let you judge whether a fan is beneficial ;)

I need a 'delete' button for the image in my head now....

No, a fan is not "required" in this case, but architects often stipulate them as a blanket requirement. Sounds like the project manager either IS the architect, or wants to follow the plans to the letter. Surely it's just more work for you, so why complain? ;)

In answer to your second question, some BC officers just check that the electrical works are carried out by a Part P registered electrician, then wash their hands of that aspect, while others will check socket heights, central heating controls, etc. My advice is to find out who the BC officer is for this job and, as tel says, just ask him or her.

building inspectors strange people it depends what mood there in sometimes had one telling me to cap my cables on dot and dab wall i said yiou dont need to cap them there clipped direct anyway had to unless he wouldnt sign off

in which case you ask him to show you the electrical or building regulation that requires capping.
dont stand for any BC crap , they need to be challenged in order to bring them into line with current legislation.

The project manager has said he thinks a fan is required in a room with a toilet and basin (it has an opening window). This is an existing toilet room the only difference being is that they are making the room a little smaller, no alterations to the electrics have taken place (just moved the light centrally.

I really cant see that a fan is required as its existing, it has a window, and theres no shower/bath, but due to my inexperience I cant say with certainty to the chap that it doesn't require one?

oh yes.... plus a bit unsure why he is worried. He says that when the building inspecter comes around he will check all the electrics meet the regs as well as the rest of the work undertaken, I thought the whole idea of belonging to a scheme was that I sign it off and the building inspecter has nothing to do with it?

Will you get paid for adding a fan? If so who cares, get on with it

they want a fan ?
then give them a f'ing fan............

[ElectriciansForums.net] Is a fan required in a room with just a toilet and basin?

stick in one of these bad boys

the look on the building inspectors face - priceless.
:34:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Is a fan required in a room with just a toilet and basin? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back