isolator for extractor fan in bathroom. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss isolator for extractor fan in bathroom. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

timmy123

I am looking for some guidance on wiring an isolator in respect of a bathroom extractor fan.
I am planning to have the fan running off the existing lighting circuit and controlled by the existing pull cord switch for the existing bathroom light. I have checked the wiring regs however I cannot determine whether or not a separate isolator switch is required for the extractor fan.

Your comments would be welcomed.
Many thanks

agree with both above good practice to fit an isolator,you can get a pull cord triple pole isolator perfect if you don't want to cause any damage

Be aware that most fan manufacturers require 3 amp fusing and dp isolator for the fan. This would be required in the main power supply before the bathroom light. However vortice only require a multipole isolator. If the bathroom has a window then I believe you don't need an isolator, however I always fit one as I consider it good practice.

If there is a window then, in theory, you can isolate the entire lighting circuit and use daylight through the window to be able to see to do your work on the fan (this of course assumes that the fan is actually on the lighting circuit). If there is no window, then you need the lights on to see what you are doing. That is my understanding of this particular regulation.

If there is a window then, in theory, you can isolate the entire lighting circuit and use daylight through the window to be able to see to do your work on the fan (this of course assumes that the fan is actually on the lighting circuit). If there is no window, then you need the lights on to see what you are doing. That is my understanding of this particular regulation.

Looks to me like the bloke who wrote this reg. has never heard of a portable light or a torch.

Ok seem daft to me as said what wrong with a torch or headlight Im sure half these reg are made up just to keep people in a job if wire a 3 core and earth from the celing rose to the t pole islator then to the fan you can keep the light on anyway

it's just another bit of red tape nonsense. do the bureaucrats who come up with this drivel think that us electricians don't work after 4pm, like them? what use is window light at 7pm on a winter's evening?

It seems to me to be the same logic which requires LSF cable in case there's a fire because it doesn't emit noxious fumes; what do you run that in? PVC trunking.
Or the same logic which requires fire rated P clips for FP cable to stop it falling down and obstructing firefighters, but the other cables are somehow fine held together in a bunch with a nylon cable tie.

If anything i would have thought it would make more sense to use an isolator if there IS a window because the window would reduce the need for forced ventilation, so you could happily switch the fan off if for instance you wanted to go for a pee in the night without the fan waking everyone else in the house.

It seems to me to be the same logic which requires LSF cable in case there's a fire because it doesn't emit noxious fumes; what do you run that in? PVC trunking.
Or the same logic which requires fire rated P clips for FP cable to stop it falling down and obstructing firefighters, but the other cables are somehow fine held together in a bunch with a nylon cable tie.

If anything i would have thought it would make more sense to use an isolator if there IS a window because the window would reduce the need for forced ventilation, so you could happily switch the fan off if for instance you wanted to go for a pee in the night without the fan waking everyone else in the house.

Or fit a humidi-stat fan which will not come on of a night when you are having a pee but will come on automatically when the humidity in the room passes a certain threshold.

it may be better to fit an isolator switch, it can be turned off if testing of the circuit is required or if the fan plays up and starts tripping the rcd, also, customers sometimes like to turn the fan off if its on a timer and they dont weant it coming on in the middle of the night

although its mentioned in osg cant find any reference to the rule in the brb.

dont think anyone pays much attention to the 3a fuse rule, however there was a case a couple years ago where although unrelated to the cause of fan catching fire the spark was blamed for not following manufacturers instructions.

Dont have the fan controlled by the light.I dont like that practice one little bit
Isolator and seperate pull cord,you can use a switched fused spur( D/p switching) as the isolator and then 3 amp fuse it
Everything covered then,the isolation,the control.the night nuisance

Thats why you are meant to use steel cable ties on fire alarms, not plastic ones but I see where you are coming from

Reply to isolator for extractor fan in bathroom. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net