I've got an interview for an apprenticeship. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss I've got an interview for an apprenticeship. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

john fonz

I'm going for my apprenticeship interview in 2 weeks and I'm really nervous about it, I've never really done well in interviews but this will have to change through preparation. :wink5: Any advice would be great.

What sort of questions specific to electrician may come up?

Has anyone interviewed, or been interviewed recently? If yes let me know how it went.

What are interviewers really looking for out of an apprentice?

Wish me luck!! :teeth_smile:

they want to know if the money they invest in training you will be well spent. you need to be able to communicate, have a good command of english (which you do, reading your post). basic maths etc. dress smart, be honest and show enthusiasm

Hi John, I interview staff on a reasonably regular basis, and the key things to remember are, be well presented, friendly, confident (but not cocky). Research the company you are interviewing for, so that you can answer questions in context. Use relevant examples of your experience. For an apprenticeship your interviewer will probably be looking for someone who will fit in, be reliable, who can use their initiative, but who also understands when to ask for help.Good Luck!

Its always a good idea, for any interview, to have 2 or 3 questions ready for when they say "do you have any questions for us"

Always make eye contact and speak clearly too. Be well presented and introduce yourself in a polite manner. First impressions count for everything!!!

It would also be a good idea to highlight how you have excellent broom handling and hot beverage making skills too!

good luck, im sure youll do great and let us know how it goes

organise all your references or gcses or a levels whatever into a organised folder

All good advice, but the unfortunate fact is that some people really do get nervous and this tends to have a negative effect as I'm sure you know. Good preparation is essential - try to anticipate some of the general questions and work out your answers. For example - why are interested in becoming an electrician? what are your strengths and weaknesses? what can you contribute to the organisation?
Research has been mentioned - that really is important - know as much as you can about the company, talk to people who work there if you can.
The better prepared you are the less nervous you will be. Nervousness tends to disappear once you are talking about things you know and have thought about. Of course, interviews are all about thinking on your feet, but even great answers don't always mean you get the job. I was once told after an interview that my answers to some questions were really good, but I still didn't get the job as it's not just about technique. They are looking at the whole package and will make allowances, but preparation, knowledge and effort will usually give you the edge in an interview.
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
always tell the truth.if you dont know the answer to a question say it.you will not fool these guys.honesty is an integral part of an apprenticeship

Look and sound interested in the job , try and think of a couple of questions about the work or the company - look smart - even nerdy , dont wear gangsta jeans , dont text or check your facebook on your phone during the interview, - Good Luck

the adivce so far is exactly right Smart dress cut hair (no stupid style) smatr clothing no nead to go buy a suit BUT it can be advantegus
Have your questions ready ( How many holidays shouldnt be on your list) BTW
a Note pad to take note of things they say as you WILL forget important stuff Bullet Point things you need to know
CHECK the company out find out what they do ( domestic make the most of your aptitudeand people skills)
commercial ( you dont mind heights ect ect ) a
re you in a team sport ect although some interviewers dont like Sports as they generaly mean unable to do stuff at short notice and do overtime work away from home n stuff like that
ALLWAYS have answers ready "what are your strengths" " What are your weaknesses?"
Look in the mirror and ask yourself " Why should I employ me?" make a list of your answers to this question might help a bit
Above all else be yourself
L

Reply to I've got an interview for an apprenticeship. in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net