Kit house extension | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Kit house extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

vini

-
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from Scotland so excuse the ignorance of laws in England, like the Part P stuff. I was on a job today, an extension and the builder was erecting a wooden frame and wooden skin with a cavity and then a course of brick. Between the wooden skin and the gyproc for the interior he was putting in king span insulation. Now he said to me that the architect had called for wiring to be installed in the cavity between the wooden skin and the course of brick work to prevent holes being drilled through the stud work for the running of cables. Apparently this is how builders are now being requested to do it.

Personally I would run the cables under the floor and up through the wooden frame to the sockets etc. I did not understand the idea of running cables on the outside of the wooden skin and then creating a hole from the brick work cavity through the wood, which I assume would or could create damp spots.

Am I missing something? Has there been a change in the way wiring of kit house is to be done from now on or has the builder read something and got the wrong end of the stick? Is it to do with Part P building regs, which so far haven't applied in Scotland?

Last edited:
Your builder/ architect has misunderstood I think. The new regs require a service void to be installed between the kingspan and internal gyproc so no cables pass through the insulation. So he is correct in saying no holes should be drilled in the frame but there should be a secondary frame installed for this purpose.

So to my mind that means if the studs are 100mm in depth and the kingspan is 75mm then the kingspan goes against the outer wooden skin leaving a depth of cavity between the gyproc and kingspan of 25mm where my cables will be situated.

Of course the kingspan could be 100mm and they have given no thought as to how the poor electrician is going to get his cables to the sockets.
If the kingspan is against the gyproc it means I would have to cut into it in order to postion my back boxes and have cable running through it.

There is no way they are erecting a secondary frame for my cables. Sometimes when you ask for such things joiners just give a look as though you had asked if you could swing from a chandelier with his wife.

Reply to Kit house extension in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

• Question
We just left it as it was, again the customer didn't seem too bothered, dont think she wanted me digging any further.
Replies
Views
Thanks all for your comments, advice and suggestions. The following is probably pretty boring for most, and is simply a summary of how the job...
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back