LABC - are they trying it on? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss LABC - are they trying it on? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

funkguppy

Hi all.

My first post.

I've been asked by a work colleague to contact our local LABC regarding the following; She is selling her house, but needs some work signing off which was done a few years ago by her husband. They turned one of the bedrooms into a bathroom, and fitted a new pull switch and light. I told her to contact a part p registered electrician who would be willing to sign the work off for her, and to get her money back off LABC, which she has already paid. She has also paid another £200 to have the building work inspected. They told her that only the electrician who installed it, or they (LABC) could sign the work off. I can't as i'm commercial and not part p. I think they are wrong and trying it on with her.

Who's right on this?

Also, if the work was done before part p was bought in, do they need this signing off anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Funkguppy.

Only your own work can be signed off, as whoever comes to look at it, can't see what's lurking below the surface so shouldn't be taking on the liability for something they're not aware of.

Pre Part P? Well she's put LABC "on notice" that it's been done and can't be proved "when", so they'll treat it as recent.
Pre 2006 it could have been done in the old colours so could not be signed off now.

Too late now, but a £35 building regs indemnity policy would have got the house sold.
And you can't get one of those once you've told LABC about non-signed-off work.

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the long run, technicalities of when it was done set aside, and taking into account that a spark cannot sign off her husbands work. LABC are a law unto themselves so see if its even a possability to get a full refund.

The best solution is to get a local spark to do a full PIR, with a 100% sampling which should more than satisfy the sale of the property.

The work must of been carried out when part p came into force, otherwise LABC would not be trying to winkle any money. Should of paid a part p electrician in the first instance, that's why these people pay a fortune to join a scheme to offer a service to the consumer.

Thanks to all respondents. This forum really does work.

I spoke with a helpful chap from NAPIT, who informed me the same. Apparently, if the work was done more than 28 days ago (it was done in 2009), then only LABC can sign of the work. They do this using a third party approved contractor. Why an independent approved contractor can't do this is beyond me, as the risk to them is the same.

The only work that was done was to change a wall light switch to a ceiling pull switch, but LABC would not come down from the £208. So, i've called an approved electrician who will rip out the installation and do it again. It then becomes a new install and the electrician can sign this off. Even if it came to the same price, i'd rather see the money go to someone who worked for it, not stole it.

I agree with you Tonys, they should have called a spark in the first place, but didn't even know they had to. I've been toying with joining NAPIT for a while. Don't currently need this as i'm commercial and employed, but keep getting asked to do domestic.

One more thing. LABC (spit) spoke about the need for an extractor fan in the bathroom. Is this a requirement in new builds?

Funkguppy.

Reply to LABC - are they trying it on? in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net