Lamps flickering when plugged into extension lead | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lamps flickering when plugged into extension lead in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

pineapple

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello
I have two desk top lamps plugged into an extension lead. If I add a small laptop, the lamps flicker.
I tried a different extension lead - same result.
Does this indicate a fault with the electrics? :confused5:
Or could it be a fault with the laptop plug/adapter?
Cheers

Last edited:
It might be interference from a cheap laptop transformer but this should not really happen.
I would be more tending to a loose connection in the socket, though regular flickering is less likely than intermittent operation in this case. worth plugging something else that runs of 230V into the extension (without overloading it) and see if the flickering still occurs. If it does then it is the wiring (or two faulty extension leads!).

I would try the extension and laptop with the extension in a different socket.........

Thanks. i just swapped the laptop for an electric kettle - no flickering. Phew!
Presumably that means it must be the laptop? It was a reconditioned one. Maybe I should replace the adapter.

Last edited:

Reply to Lamps flickering when plugged into extension lead in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

It's a room where someone sleeps, so it's a bedroom. Minimum standards were set in the Parker Morris report in around 1963. Anything built after...
Replies
Views
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I will try to follow up on each one and find a suitable solution. many thanks all
Replies
Views
Neutral and live
Replies
Views
  • Question
5 kilowatts of UV - that can't be good for you surely??
Replies
Views
Littlespark has said it all above. But I will chip in as I have some of those lamps, but they are an earlier version with ses lampholders instead...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks