Landlords certificate. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Landlords certificate. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Nearly Esteemed
Reaction score
Are these still a thing? I've been asked to do a couple for someone who rents a few houses out as a side line. I've had a quick loot at the property and from a safety point of view its fine, although its an old and scruffy installation. If I was to do an EICR on it it would probably "fail" on a few points but that would involve more detailed testing.

I note that on the NAPIT site they do a "landlords certificate" but it states it is used for attaching to a previous EICR that has previously had C1 and C2 codes. Not sure what its purpose is as surely you would just issue a EIC or minor works instead to cover that.

However I do have a copy of an older visual report that I got when we were with ELECSA and I could use that, the bloke is adamant that the letting agent just needs a visual report. So the way I see it and correct me if I'm wrong is a visual report would just cover the tenant being electrically safe i.e. no broken sockets/switches, bare wires, lack of RCD, pipework not bonded, that sort of thing. whereas a full EICR would cover the building saying it is up to date or not with the current regulations.

Do you see an issue with doing a quick visual cert after a bit of testing like a few loop tests at sockets and lights and making sure the ring is actually a ring, RCD's working etc. and what would happen at a later date if say there was a fire in the loft due to a dodgy joint box for eg.

I believe so. A landlord should issue a 'Satisfactory' EICR within 28 days of a new tenancy.
This includes actual inspection and testing not a visual.
We issue an EIC or Minor Works to cover any remedial works arising from an 'Unsatisfactory' EICR, not a LL Cert.

I will be so glad when I retire, every day is a mind-bogle of insanity. This is how the conversation went a few days ago.

-----------
hi I need a visual landlords cert for one of my rental properties

Ok are you sure its just a visual cert you need, they are only 1 page long but a full EICR is about 7 or 8 pages and takes the best part of a day to do.

Yes a visual cert is fine we don't need the full report just something basic to show the letting agent.

----------

So I knocked up a basic cert last night stating there was RCD protection, bonding, no damage anywhere, earthed etc. and get an email back this morning.

----------
Hi is that how they are supposed to look, they normally look like this.
---------

He then proceeded to send me a copy of a full 7 page EICR done on one of his other properties.

How do I get through the day. :confused:

This all come about because of this

Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020

Interestingly the above regulations do not mention that it has to be an EICR it simply refers to a report.

"Landlords must obtain a report (usually an Electrical Installation Condition Report or EICR) from the person conducting the inspection and test which explains its outcomes and any investigative or remedial work required."

And in the guide to the above document this

"They will produce a report, sometimes usually an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). This report details the condition of the electrical installations and any remedial works or further investigations which may be needed."

sometimes usually ??

But the generally accepted standard is an EICR

I guess that opens up the question what other forms could the report take? Why did they word it like that?

If someone wants a report done, our regs only mention an EICR… not a lesser detailed visual inspection.

As a business, I’d rather get paid for a few hours proper inspection, and write up a comprehensive report… not a 5 minute visit for a visual check… which, to be honest… the customer could do themselves.

Reply to Landlords certificate. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net