larger domestic jobs/hmo's/studios etc- regulations | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss larger domestic jobs/hmo's/studios etc- regulations in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Afternoon

had an interesting job pop up on my rated people app today- was for rewiring 10x art studios- all the bits and pieces in each studio- consumer unit for each one etc- sounded like quite a nice job to land in the net.

However I didnt go for it as I don't think I am quite ready to go for that type of work. I know it will likely need a graded fire alarm system, emergency lighting in the communal areas etc- which is where I find myself out of my comfort zone!! -not so much the 'wiring' side of things- as wiring is wiring! but more the requirements/regulation side of things.....I know people say- you would have to be advised from the fire officer what they want in said buildings

but do any of you have any good information/pdfs I can sink my teeth into (would be nice to be able to go for something like a communal area or studios some time in the new year rather than stick with purely domestic!)

ta

Don't be daunted, jobs like this are a learning curve if new and should be relished as a challenge.

The best contact for requirements for licenced HMOs will be the local authority. They pretty much have their own specific rules although there will be some standardisation across the country to some extent.

You will be looking at a panel system fire alarm...the grade will be specified so ask for a spec from the council, or even better, get the landlord to liaise with the council. Get a local fire alarm company to quote for supply and commission, or even a full install if you like. You don't have to worry about your insurance being adequate this way.

As for emergency lighting, again ask for council spec. If no spec then research what is needed. Generally a light in exit ways, near exit doors, at the top, bottom, and half landing/turn of stairs. these could be combined with some led bulkhead communal lighting.

Reply to larger domestic jobs/hmo's/studios etc- regulations in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net