LED downlighting options and bulb recommendations | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss LED downlighting options and bulb recommendations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

vincentvega

Hi all,

I have just built myself a kitchen extension so have a blank canvas so o speak hen it comes to downlighting.
I will be having installed a series of LED downlights and I am looking for advice on weather to install low voltage unit or mains voltage units.
I am aware of the excellent energy efficiency of the LED's and the cost involved in initially purchasing them, but that's about all I know.
The ceiling they are being installed in has 125mm of kingspan which will be cut out around he light but should any heat output be a concern? And am I correct in saying the LED's don't put out as much heat as the halogens?

And lastly, the LED bulbs seem to vary massively in cost, so any good value for performance bulb recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Allan

Install mains voltage ones. The additional transformer / driver is not worth it for ELV.
The best ones are the integrated downlights that do not have replaceable lamps, expect about £35-£45 per fitting.
Even though LEDs are not so hot they do need to be kept coll so the space around them is essential to keep them from overheating (albeit at a lower temperature than halogens).
If you were to go for replacement GU10 lamps I would recommend you get your electrician to specify for you as they will know what is available locally adn how good they are.

You are looking for 300lm plus on brightness.

I would recommend Deltec 9 watt led down lighters they are a complete fitting and come with a plug and socket arrangement attached ,fantastic out put warm or cool white best of all they have a 60 degree beam angle if you compare this with the 35 degree beam angle of a halogen there a lot of difference i have installed over 120 with only one fail cracking unit

Use aurora downlighters as they last for years without tarnishing
they have a bezel lock to hold the lamp instead of those **** retainer clips
gu10 mains and add aurora 7w led warm white lamp Unit price lamp and fitting £20

Thanks everyone for all the advice, its a bit of a minefield to me!
Looking at the LED downlights which are a complete unit i.e you cant change the lamp, what advantages do these have?

Cheers

Allan

Fitted about 70 of these recently (in 1 house). Quite impressed by the fitting and the light output, only slight negative point was fitting the bezel ( fairly fragile plastic lugs, managed to snap a couple)

yeah the bezels on the pros can be abit fragile I've started using the h2's instead as you don't have the same issue

JCC are now phasing out the LED7 and replacing with LED6...looks exactly the same from the ceiling, same output, colour, angle etc but the driver has been remanufactured to benefit the installer (not square and lumpy anymore, more like a smooth pear to go into hole better) and it's a little more compact again. Consequently, many wholesalers are selling on the remaining stock of 7's at knock down rates - go and blag a bargain!

I'm a fan of the JCC units - fitted hundreds, never had a failure. Even fitted them in my own house!

I have been using the JCC led 7s down lights and they're good , all customers like them ,,never had a faulty one ,,,

They're changing led 6s now which are identical just 1 watt less , but same light output , so you should get a deal on the led7s,,

Reply to LED downlighting options and bulb recommendations in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net