Legal knowledge needed please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Legal knowledge needed please in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

monkeyman

I work for a security firm which deals with fire alarms intruder systems and so on. we also install and replace emergengy lights but are not registered with any boards. Is this legal? as nothing is tested. I also have to replace broken emergency lights on my servicing im not an electrition and have never claimed to be one to my employers. I do know what im doing solely through experience in the job so far, but is this enough? or are my employers turning a blind eye until something serious happens? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The EAWR 1989 (Electricity At Work Regulations) require you to be either competent or supervised for any work task.
Here's a quote from the Regulations:
"16. No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work."
The EAWR is statutory, so if you are not competent or supervised then yes such work would be illegal.
However you state you are experienced, do you consider that you are experianced enough to carry out the work safely without causing a danger to yourself or others?
There actually may be more of a problem with your clients insurance companies, often they require Electricians to be registered with some body such as the NICEIC.

In the event of a 'situation' they would have to prove their competence, but more importantly you need to cover your back, especially when signing off certs and even call forms.
Prosecutions for fire system 'negligence' are common.I grew up learning the same trades and in the same way, but things were different way back then.

Judging by his name and the way he is employed it looks like he is tool boy but has gained the experience needed to install himself. A great way to learn but only with the backing of a good college to get the qualifications needed and to learn about the EAWR89.

I bet he is getting paid half (no disrespect) of a qualified electrician and that the company he works for are just cutting corners on staff, materials and time doing certs to keep afloat. Just a guess.

In the event of a 'situation' they would have to prove their competence, but more importantly you need to cover your back, especially when signing off certs and even call forms.
Prosecutions for fire system 'negligence' are common.I grew up learning the same trades and in the same way, but things were different way back then.

'In the event of a situation' he would have to prove his competence, as well as 'they'.

I am signing the emergency lights off myself again do i need special creditation for this? i have had to teach myself what is roughly required of the service but again is this normal?

No the strange thing i have been told that i dont need to gain any qualifications to do the job and i have picked up how to do the job roughly from another collegue who again is not a sparky. There is probably one fully qualified member of staff out of eleven. I am wanting to do the job correctly and so am i within my rights to refuse to service and replace lights? i have asked about at work and nobody seems to know. The internet seems sketchy on answer. Never been a tool boy though it prob would have helped just more or less thrown in and told to get on with it.

I am signing the emergency lights off myself again do i need special creditation for this? i have had to teach myself what is roughly required of the service but again is this normal?

If you are just replacing like for like then no.
However if you are installing new fittings where none existed previously, you should really comply with BS5266 which is the standard that covers emergency lighting.
There are publictions that you can download from the HSE and ESC websites, which will give you some ideas about what procedures you should undertake when working on electrical installations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Competence is about being conversant with BS 7671, BS 5266, BS 5839 etc.

Lux levels for emergency lighting, positioning of luminaries etc. etc.

I know work's scarce but I'd think carefully before signing dotted lines....

Replacing like for like can be done without training per se on an individual basis, but your employer should provide you with training. If one of you guys have an incident, then they will be liable to sooo much --- kickin.

Never been a tool boy though it prob would have helped just more or less thrown in and told to get on with it.

No offence intended mate, just that when I started as a labourer I was call monkeyboy. Running up and down ladders, in sellers and up in lofts all day long, just sprung a memory.

If your doing this type of work (sounds like your doing it well) take the advice above, get qualified in this area on night class etc and find an employer that will make you a richer man. Not only in money but with wealth of knowledge.

Reply to Legal knowledge needed please in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net