Legal question | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Legal question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sargan

DIY
Reaction score
I know for example the requirements of Part P, and new work
A question … if somone installs an item that is plainly in contravention of Electrical safety, do they actually break any law.
The question relates to a house owner and own work - not work for others.

I give an example, I have seen a Hot tub installation where electrical sockets are closer than the 2m requirement, and also a television plugged into one of the sockets and sited well within the 2m zone.

It’s dangerous - yes, but is it illegal, and if so what law is broken.

I know for example the requirements of Part P, and new work
A question … if somone installs an item that is plainly in contravention of Electrical safety, do they actually break any law.
The question relates to a house owner and own work - not work for others.

I give an example, I have seen a Hot tub installation where electrical sockets are closer than the 2m requirement, and also a television plugged into one of the sockets and sited well within the 2m zone.

It’s dangerous - yes, but is it illegal, and if so what law is broken.
Failure to comply with the Building Regulations is a criminal offence.

Failure to comply with the Building Regulations is a criminal offence.
So if there is an electrical install that meets requirements …. I.e, outlets more than 2m away from a Hot Tub …. And then a TV is added within the 2m safety zone, this is not a permanent wired item, would this also come under general Section 39 of the Act that any breach of the building regulations will be a criminal offence.
Or is there something more specific for electrical ‘items plugged in’. So not electrical work as such.
Interesting point, would plugging in an item constitute a notifiable piece of work, assume not, so be interested to know what law would cover that ?

Last edited:
It would be more stupidity than criminal.

Also from a safety aspect it would depend on what type of tv it was, it could be a 12v one with external power supply.

The same goes for sockets being ip rated ones.

The installs I have seen are when they use a standard 220V TV hung up alongside Hot Tub. (within Zone 1)
I mentioned it to a guy that this is against Electrical Regs and a major Safety risk as it's within a designated safety zone.
He said that that's just Electricians regs nothing in Law.

Reply to Legal question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net