Light keeps coming on all the time ..... | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Light keeps coming on all the time ..... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Badged01

This is not my problem but posted on behalf of a neighbour down the road who doesn't have access to a computer. Can't remember his name but he seemed a good egg. Not too sure about the answer so posted it in here to try and hide it and not to embarrass myself more than I usually do in the main forum .....

"Ive got this problem with a light switch. When I press it the light goes off, then a short while later when Im in bed it comes back on. I get up, press the switch again and it goes back off. This must happen half a dozen times before it stops. All the time I'm up and down out of the bed more times than the wifes knickers when we were courting. Im confused as to why it keeps going off all the time but I think my younger son might know. I can hear him giggling away downstairs when I start cursing and switching the upstairs landing light back off. I dont want to ask him as he's an electrical apprentice and it could upsurp my standing in the house. Im a time served industrial electrican who only deals with heavy 3-phase mega KVA electrics and big powerful turny motor things so all this domestic stuff confuses me. I'd check in my 15th regs book for an answer but I havent seen it for years. How can I fix it or do I need a Part 'P' electrician in when my sons at college?"

Last edited by a moderator:
a megger tester will fix this problem. . 1 clip on each ear. press test.

He doesnt use those, they're just for wussy domestic wannabe real sparkies. He just puts 11kV straight across the wires and if nothing pops or burns the wirings good to go. If it pops then clearly there was a fault and they book it as an overtime job for the week-end.

Duff switch, if your son is taking the mick wack the twerp upside the ear and tell him to grow up

If this is real then as above duff switch ... its contacts are opening but its not switching fully over its pivot point thus may click back on as the spring works against the switch.

What has industrial flavour of work got to do with it the 17th covers industrial too and you should be fully up to knowledge of the 17th not refering to the 15th, so you never do anything covered in the BS7671 .... something i find hard to believe, also insurance companies are now more so getting the industry to confirm any trade working within the companies are competent and can show up to date certification. Ive been ask twice last month to supply my qualification documents and certs to appease the companies insurers that i am competent on paper at least.

Last edited:
If this is real then as above duff switch ... its contacts are opening but its not switching fully over its pivot point thus may click back on as the spring works against the switch.

What has industrial flavour of work got to do with it the 17th covers industrial too and you should be fully up to knowledge of the 17th not refering to the 15th, so you never do anything covered in the BS7671 .... something i find hard to believe, also insurance companies are now more so getting the industry to confirm any trade working within the companies are competent and can show up to date certification. Ive been ask twice last month to supply my qualification documents and certs to appease the companies insurers that i am competent on paper at least.

it's a wind-up, darkwood. look who the OP is.

My bad did it off my phone at dinner ..scrolling around screen missed the obvious!.. but you never know he might have had a bang on the head and turned into a plumber?

if its real could also be a 3 way switch setup
if the kid keeps giggling when he swears and gets up repeatedly.
as telectrix quoted
a megger tester will fix this problem. . 1 clip on each ear. press test.

you into goats as well a sheep now, des. :policeman:

Reply to Light keeps coming on all the time ..... in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net