Lighting Fault, Earth to Neutral Tripping RCD | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Lighting Fault, Earth to Neutral Tripping RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

To note here you say its less than 6months old if it is found to be the fault of another trade and through no installation issues with the electrics then they may be liable to all costs but you should notify them before doing the works .... but if the customer isnt aware of this it sometimes isnt worth all the hassle that comes with going down this avenue .....tell her to get her spare wallpaper roll out and chop the bugger out :)

or alternatively, diss. the faulty section and replace with new cable taking a different route that is less disruptive to the decor.

The Electrical Safety Council say it's fine to wire up a lighting circuit with no CPC, why don't you send your poorly thought out email to them as that's where I got my info, and I would suggest they know more than you.

This is supposed to be a professional forum, not a childs forum for slagging people off. I suggest you find an alternative forum if this is what you wish to do.

You mention “best codes of practice” and then suggest flying in the face of one of the most fundamental safety systems in the book.

Make the lighting circuit PME and be done with it! At least a short to the CPC from the live would bring out the MCB!

I’m sorry (not) you find my first reply abrupt and offensive (it was meant to be). Don’t expect me (or anyone else) to condone your creation of what could become a fatal scenario!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Electrical Safety Council say it's fine to wire up a lighting circuit with no CPC, why don't you send your poorly thought out email to them as that's where I got my info, and I would suggest they know more than you.

This is supposed to be a professional forum, not a childs forum for slagging people off. I suggest you find an alternative forum if this is what you wish to do.
Well if the ESC say it's fine, I might wire my next lighting circuit in singles and miss the CPC out then. If something goes badly wrong I can stand in front of the judge and try that as my defence.
As you state Silentboarder this is supposed to be a professional forum, maybe that's why your preposterous suggestion is being shouted down.

Have another read of the ESC guidence note and then ask the question again.

I think you will find the CPC issue revolves around CU changes only and not installing new circuits without CPC's.

I will mention this post on Thursday when I speak with them at Coventry !

The ESC advice on lack of CPC's on lighting circuits is not intended for a scenario the OP finds himself in......nowhere does it state a lighting circuit 'is fine to be wired without a CPC'...!
The guide is intended to cover a CU change where the client refuses rewiring of a circuit which does not meet current standards,but can be left in a safer state than it was before by following the best practice guide....it's not intended to bodge a fault so that it doesnt trip an RCD.

Edit....wot tonymc said but he types quicker!

Why not just bypass the RCD?

Who needs them anyway?

Infact cut all the cpcs out and bypass the RCD that will defo fix the problem, no nuiscence tripping ever again?

If there are problems with it in the future pop a 63A MCB on the circuit

Yes the ESC do say you can wire in a circuit without a cpc this is normally when the cable hasnt got a cpc , you have a fault on the cable which could be a nail through the cable which could be arcing across the inside of the cable which is a potential fire hazard , take a continuity measurement on the cable you could then get a approximate idea where the fault is and rectify it or find an alternative route

Reply to Lighting Fault, Earth to Neutral Tripping RCD in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net