Lighting in the shed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lighting in the shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MJM

Hi,

I want to put a light in my shed. I have a fused spur off the ring main in the conservatory that runs to an outside socket (no longer in use).

Am I ok to put another fused spur off this with a 5A fuse in for my light circuit in the shed?

It will be done with SWA cable, clipped in free air and then buried in concrete to the shed.

What IP rating would the luminaire and switch in the shed have to be?

Do I need a junction box in the shed for the SWA to run into some 1.5mm twin and earth? If so what IP does the junction box need to be?

Also is this notifiable, as in does it class as outdoor lighting?

Thanks for any advice.

use the existing FCU< fused down to 5A. replace the outside socket with an IP55 adaptable box to connect to SWA. reverse procedure in shed with an ad. box to connect to T/E. IP rating in shed needs only to be IP4X (unless there's a possibility of water ingress). whether or not you want to pay labc £100+ is up to you. if you want to notify, be a better to get a scam member spark to do the job.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.

The problem is the outside socket is right at the bottom of the garden and the shed is only a third of the way down. It would mean either digging up the existing SWA or laying a new one from the socket replaced joint box. Is it against the regs to put another fused spur off a fused spur?

If I was just doing this for myself I wouldn't bother notifying but I'm intending to try and register with a scam scheme at some point so I was thinking of using this as one of my examples. I guess it does class as notifiable then?

If the socket is no longer in use then remove the existing cable from the FCU and use your new cable for the ligthing, changing the fuse to 5A.
You can fit another fused spur from the load side of the existing FCU but why would you need to if there is an unused one already there?

Running a cable through a garden is notifiable work under Part P of the building regulations.

Ah yeah it's coming back to me now!! Sorry I'm just learning this stuff at the moment.

Edit. I do need an electrical installation certificate and test results etc. then...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yeah it's coming back to me now!! Sorry I'm just learning this stuff at the moment.

Edit. I do need an electrical installation certificate and test results etc. then...

You need an electrical installation certificate, schedule of inspections and schedule of test results for all electrical work (except possibly maintenance repairs).

You need an electrical installation certificate, schedule of inspections and schedule of test results for all electrical work (except possibly maintenance repairs).

Is that the case for all notifiable work? I mean cause if it's not a new circuit back to the CU it's just a minor works certificate isn't it? If it's not a new circuit in a special location or kitchen is it a full electrical installation cert? Do you need schedule of inspections and test results with a minor works certificate?

OK I was a bit brief there.

The recommendation according to the BS7671 wiring regulations is that any electrical work done should be inspected and tested and a certificate supplied.

For maintenance repairs a certificate is recommended, (and it would be MEIWC).
For minor works (as you say, not a new circuit to the CU) you are required to supply a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate, that does not need a SOTR or SOI, however inspection and testing appropriate to ensure the modification is safe should be done. You could also issue an EIC and SOTR and SOI.

For work that is not minor works you are required to supply an Electrical Installation Certificate, that does need a SOTR and SOI, with full inspection and testing appropriate to demonstrate that the work complies with the regulations.

Notifiable work is an entirely different thing coming under the building regulations Part P and almost nothing to do with the wiring regulations. (Though the building regulations say that, in the majority of cases, complying with BS7671 will ensure compliance with the building regulations).

Here the work that is identified in Part P as notifiable requires either, informing building control before the work starts and paying the fee and having the work assessed during installation and having it tested afterwards OR

If you are a member of a self certification scheme then you can notify compliance with the building regulations by informing your scheme in time for them to notify the customer within 30 days of completion of the work.

Reply to Lighting in the shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net