Lightning Protection Systems | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lightning Protection Systems in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PeteC

I have a client who is self controlling a new factory build, so there is no architect in charge. Knowing roughly what the LPS risk assessment involves, the building is of high risk of strike.

Does anybody know if there is a (legal) requirement for an assessment to be done?

Building control have told me not by them, but I would have thought there be something in H&S at work act.

I doubt whether there is a legal requirement as lightning protection systems are normally installed primarily to protect the equipment and fabric of the building.
Your best bet is to speak to omega red (furse), who are usually more than happy to offer advice.

I would imagine the insurance company/lender if involved will have more than a passing interest.

A risk assessment in line with BSEN 62305:2006 will prove that you took reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the building and it's occupants, assuming you act upon it's findings.

Last edited:
Do as IQ says, the insurance company will have more than a passing interest. It’s them that have to pay out if it all goes bang!

the person building the factory will need a lightning conductor at each end of the roof, attached to heavy copper bars (think 20mm thick and 25mm wide) going down to the ground and bolted onto long heavy well burried copper earth rods, I know there is testing that needs to be done but I'm not 100% sure of the regulations, just that they are there for public buildings......I was on a new build hospital once and there was a contractor there with the sole purpose of fitting Lightning conductors,earth rods and doing tests on them, he had a van with a generator in the back and a big clunky test meter set, spent 3 days fitting and testing....maybe need to Google "Lightning conductors UK" to see nearby installers, they will do all the tests as well and give a printout for the HSE and for the insurance as they will probably ask for them, and the building inspector will probably wait until near the completion of the job and ask where they are, which could result in delays in sign off and possibly delays in payment to you or even deductions, depending on how you operate (on a contract with clauses and cut off dates, or on an as and when open basis)

What? You're telling this guy that he NEEDS a lightning protection system?

He NEEDS a risk assessment to BSEN 62305:2006 exactly as I outlined in post 3!

Thanks guys!

I emailed Furse, and Toni Merril replied with just that~ no legal requirement. Yes I'm sure insurance companies would use it to get out of paying. Worse I can see if there were a death caused by a direct lightning stroke, the property manager (in this case owner) would be drawn through the mill! If I have any further involvement with the design/installation I think I'll make sure I've advised the client to have an assessment~ Furse offer a free one!

In this case, the building is isolated and on top of ridge, bare metal framework with metal roof to pyramid center with finial, direct fixing of suspended ceiling and stud metalwork as with the electrical installation encasement~ pretty high risks me thinks.

Could the requirements for a "quality management system" as in data storage and control, require it?

also found this~ new section 534 to enter the regs in the next amendment of 7671:
"Devices for protection against overvoltage (surge protection devices)"

Section 534 – Devices for protection against overvoltage

thanks again

also found this~ new section 534 to enter the regs in the next amendment of 7671:
"Devices for protection against overvoltage (surge protection devices)"

Section 534 – Devices for protection against overvoltage

thanks again

Hi,
Dont have regs book to hand at the moment, but I recall there being a section with a reg that states that 'when designing an electrical system lightning strikes do not need to take into account.'

If you want to protect against a lightning strike, then the best way is to encourage it to strike somewhere else.

Hi,
Dont have regs book to hand at the moment, but I recall there being a section with a reg that states that 'when designing an electrical system lightning strikes do not need to take into account.'

If you want to protect against a lightning strike, then the best way is to encourage it to strike somewhere else.

That is absolutely incorrect, 443.2.3 mentions external influence AQ2 which translates into a figure of > 25 thunderstorm days per year.

Where this applies and with an overhead supply, "a measure of protection against overvoltages of atmospheric origin must be provided in accordance with regulation 443.2.5"

That is absolutely incorrect, 443.2.3 mentions external influence AQ2 which translates into a figure of > 25 thunderstorm days per year.

Where this applies and with an overhead supply, "a measure of protection against overvoltages of atmospheric origin must be provided in accordance with regulation 443.2.5"

The reg I was thinking of is 443.1.1 which says "Direct lightning strikes on the low voltage lines of the supply network or on electrical installations are not taken into
account (conditions of external influence AQ3). See also BS EN 62305."

And the reason I mentioned this reg is because the OP suggested a risk of a direct hit due to the building being isolated and on high ground.

Yes, I think it's in need of an LPS but regs 443 is concerned with transient over-voltage and not direct strikes.

It would seem it's the clients choice, no legal requirement.~ but as an employer (commercial office) I would have guessed there was something in H&S / employment law or something. There will always be people willing to get away with the min required, and sadly it takes deaths to change things not conscience.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's a steel framed building ....most of a LPS is already in place.... just needs air conductors, connections to any roof equipment, Surge arresters and bonds of the framework to the ground rods.

As already stated Furse will do a survey and design the system for free ..or used too... There are also other alternative means of LPS that are gaining global recognition, by means of positive ion emission air conductors. Very popular in the Middle and Far East.

Reply to Lightning Protection Systems in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net