Lights flickering on when all switched off ? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lights flickering on when all switched off ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cambria

Hi
I was called to a mobile home last week and the owner said after they switch everyting off at night ALL the lights start flickering on, yes she said ALL the lights. I removed all the light switches to check them and no obvious faults. The way the lights are wired is all the wires are looped into each switch back box and the neutrals stuffed into a choc block connector, a 4 gang switch had 6 neutrals stuffed into one connector. This is how the manufacturer wired this as the home is only 6 months old.
Anyone got any suggestions as to what could cause such as fault ?

lights flickering first thing i would check is the supply ,sounds as if the polarity is incorrect ,if the mobile home is connected to a hook up point the point its self or cable could have a crossed N and L install ation should also be on an earth rod TT system , alot of mobile homes / caravans have flourescent lights that stay energised and flicker if polarity is incorrect

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they are all various types of low energy lamps they fit in mobile homes these days. What would be the cause of the induced voltage and how could this be affecting all the lamps.

I have been doing a bit of reading on this and apparently it is becoming quite a common problem with the increased use of CFLs. It usually seems to be related to the combination of CFL and 2 way switch. In modern mobile homes all the lamps are CFL and 2 way switches are quite common in all bedrooms and kitchen/lounge. I have seen one suggestion of swapping L1 and L2 to try and cure the problem, Has anyone had any success with this solution.

I have had this problem before and it was as Nick blake suggested at the incoming tails on the supply the live and neutral was reversed, the lights will keep flashing if they are low energy.

kev

Reply to Lights flickering on when all switched off ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net