Lights flickering slightly when off.. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Lights flickering slightly when off.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard

Called by a friends earlier,

2 high frequency fittings slaved off one-another, switched by an IP rated switch. Both work fine. However, when the switch is off, they both flicker ever so slightly. Theres no neon at the switch, and no chance of borrowed neutrals AFAIK ect.

I wasn't in the position to go exploring this evening, but I'm thinking probibly a dicky switch. Would anyone one have any other experiences?

Thank you

+1 for what he said, as with reversed polarity the capacitive leakage from the switched side to earth could easily be enough to cause a flicker. Even with the correct polarity it could be capacitive leakage between the two cores of the switch cable, particularly if cabled with a low capacitance to earth e.g. singles in PVC conduit. I had a really annoying one that flashed quite noticeably every few seconds, on just the tiny amount of leakage from a totally sound cable. I put a suitable resistor across the fitting to cure it.

Reply to Lights flickering slightly when off.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
And exciting when that Hager AFDD finally tripped 😂
Replies
Views
nicebutdim
N
I have the typical LED on Dimmer switch. All the lights flicker in my house are very inconsistent times. By let me clarify by saying all the...
Replies
Views
Does the system work correctly? I don't think this is a fault as such, but an incompatibility between the thermostat with indicator and the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Can't imagine too many people here having an instagram account. Maybe Tel & Pete.
Replies
Views
nicebutdim
N
  • Question
It’s all a bit confused as he originally says I read that as with supply removed he was picking up 230v. My concern is/was that as the house...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks